Legend classification formatting differs from feature

09-07-2017 07:55 AM
Clarson
New Contributor III

So, I have my label values symbolized in my feature class like this:

feature class symbology labels

The problem is, when I insert my legend, ArcGIS Pro drops the hyphen (along with its leading and trailing spaces) as well as the second percentage sign:

Legend

If I try to convert the legend to a graphic,to manually adjust the labels, I can insert the spaces in the hyphen and spaces without a problem. But if I try to add a percent sign, to the upper limit, it comes in as \n.

manual edit

How can something as simple as editing a legend/graphic be so cumbersome? Do I reelly need to insert seperate text boxes just to format my legend. This functionality worked great in Arcmap, why is it so hard to work with in Pro. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

can you drop the % sign by any chance?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Maybe you could add % sign in the header Minority Population (in %).

Think Location
0 Kudos
Clarson
New Contributor III

Dan PattersonJayanta Poddar‌ either would work, but they are kind of workarounds.My solution was to fix the issue in Illustrator. When I exported to .pdf, the hyphens were present but they were placed directly beneath the first % sign. I spent too much time doing something really simple, that shouldn't have even been a problem in the first place.  ESRI needs to address the underlying problems with ArcGIS Pro and improve the functionality, if they actually expect people to adopt the platform. notreadyforprimetime‌

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Pass it on to tech support would be a good idea.

I think sometimes characters like %, \ etc have meanings if there is programming interface anywhere in the functionality... could be a bug, or an un-noted omission in the documentation.  In either case it should be addressed in some fashion

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I agree with your point. Could you try to reproduce the issue using a different dataset and project file? If you are able to reproduce the issue successfully, you could log a case with Esri Support team. Sorry, I don't have an ArcGIS Pro with me to test the same.

Think Location
0 Kudos
Clarson
New Contributor III

Not sure what was going wrong yesterday. I opened the project to today and the legend is displaying correctly.

problem fixed itself, apparently.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

curious... did you close and re-open it yesterday?

0 Kudos
Clarson
New Contributor III

No I didn't. I guess I probably should have though. Lesson learned.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ahhh good idea