Layout view shifts map clip in ArcGIS Pro but in map view layers overlay perfectly?

Jump to solution
09-09-2021 10:51 AM
Labels (2)
HopeHauptman
New Contributor III

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.8.2 to overlay many layers - raster, polygon and point. In map view when I overlay the layers, they line up perfectly (see screenshot). But when I make a layout showing the individual layers, the layer containing point data is slightly shifted (see layout screenshot how first clip does not line up with the next two). The map coordinate system is in NAD 1983 California Teale Albers. I've attached some screenshots. I did not define a projection for the point layer. Thank you for any help! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What are the coordinate systems actually?  

You never "define" a coordinate system unless a featureclass doesn't have one defined.  And if it doesn't have a defined coordinate system, then one needs to be defined or nothing will line up.

Use the Project tool to get everything in a known desired coordinate system, rather than relying on project-on-the-fly if that is what you are doing.

And if the data still don't line up properly, then one of the coordinate systems has been defined incorrectly

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What are the coordinate systems actually?  

You never "define" a coordinate system unless a featureclass doesn't have one defined.  And if it doesn't have a defined coordinate system, then one needs to be defined or nothing will line up.

Use the Project tool to get everything in a known desired coordinate system, rather than relying on project-on-the-fly if that is what you are doing.

And if the data still don't line up properly, then one of the coordinate systems has been defined incorrectly

... sort of retired...
HopeHauptman
New Contributor III

Yes - thank you again. Sorry for posting so similar to my last post but I wasn't understanding the coordinate system versus the projection. I think I've got it now. THANK YOU. 

0 Kudos
HopeHauptman
New Contributor III

Yes - I am relying on project-on-the-fly. I thought that was the preferred method.  

The Geographic coordinate system for the point layer is WGS 1984. 

The Projected coordinate system for the rasters are: NAD 1983 California (Teale) Albers (Meters).

0 Kudos