Layers Created in ArcGIS Pro Misalign with Layers Created in ArcMap but not when viewed in ArcMap

Jump to solution
01-28-2021 07:24 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've delineated watersheds in both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro, using the same DEM. When I view these watersheds in Pro (right side of picture), the one created in ArcMap is shifted slightly. In ArcMap (left side of picture), they align perfectly with each other and the DEM. Both maps were new with the DEM pulled in first, so they're in the same projection. However, the ArcMap-created layer is in WGS 1984 (GCS) and the Pro-created layer is in UTM 15 (PCS). I've had this issue several times with layers being shifted between ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro. 

Shifted_Polys.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thomas - if I had to guess I would say that this is a geographic transformation shift.  In ArcMap you have to explicitly tell the application what geographic transformation to apply.  In ArcGIS Pro, it's done automatically for you by default.  I would explore the geographic transformation settings in both applications and make sure they're the same.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thomas - if I had to guess I would say that this is a geographic transformation shift.  In ArcMap you have to explicitly tell the application what geographic transformation to apply.  In ArcGIS Pro, it's done automatically for you by default.  I would explore the geographic transformation settings in both applications and make sure they're the same.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

As far as I can tell, these are the same transformations:

Transformations.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Actually ArcGIS Pro is using WGS 1984 (ITRF00) to NAD 1983 while the Using dropdown box in ArcMap is not using anything.  In ArcMap, I'd set the geographic transformation to WGS 1984 (ITRF00) to NAD 1983 and then compare the two again.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Gotcha! So I was reading the ArcMap box wrong (I thought the "Into" dropdown was the transformation it was making). So that actually fixes my problem, if I set Transformation to "None" in Pro. Thank you.