Layer Masking greyed out when dataset is first brought in Pro 2.4.1

Jump to solution
08-13-2019 02:11 PM
marjorie_jerez
New Contributor III

Does anyone else experience the following?:

1) Bring in a dataset (tested on stand alone shapefile, map service from an ArcServer, and feature class from an SDE)

2) Masking (under the Appearance Tab) is greyed out so I click on the recently brought in feature layer in the TOC and it is still greyed out

3) Clicks on a different feature layer and Masking activates

4) Clicks back on the recently added feature class and Masking is activated

I would prefer if it would just automatically have Layer Masking activated instead of me having to click a different feature layer every single time I want to mask something...

Anyway, I was just curious if any one else has this happen to them... 

Thanks!

Thomas Colson‌, Robert Pollock

Have you guys have this happen to you by chance? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I can reproduce this so logged the following usability issue: [BUG-000124512: Layer Masking is grayed out for a newly added layer until that layer is unselected and reselected in the Contents pane.]

If it is important for you to follow this issue, you can call technical support to be attached to the bug.  Otherwise, if you check back in to https://support.esri.com/en this should show up there and you'd be able to click the Subscribe button.

Glad you have an easy workaround move forward with layer masking.

Cheers

View solution in original post

10 Replies
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

No , I don't but I recommend you to screenshot and that might help to visualize what were you were doing...

Also, you might want to send this to Dan Pattererson. He's really good reply some of his answer...

0 Kudos
marjorie_jerez
New Contributor III

I'll keep his name in mind - thanks Robert!

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

It's pretty easy to repro. New map. Add 1st layer. Masking disabled. Add 2nd layer. Disabled. Click on 1st layer, then 2nd layer, then it's finally enabled. 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I can reproduce this so logged the following usability issue: [BUG-000124512: Layer Masking is grayed out for a newly added layer until that layer is unselected and reselected in the Contents pane.]

If it is important for you to follow this issue, you can call technical support to be attached to the bug.  Otherwise, if you check back in to https://support.esri.com/en this should show up there and you'd be able to click the Subscribe button.

Glad you have an easy workaround move forward with layer masking.

Cheers

marjorie_jerez
New Contributor III

I had to mask layers 60+ times (an overall masking, and masking for each of the five districts) and was starting to lose my sanity. I even rebooted thinking it would make it go away but it still kept doing that.

Yayyyyy! My first bug! ;D

Thanks Kory for looking into it!

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Even better euphoria........marking your first answer (Kory's) as correct!

KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Although it would have to be changed from a discussion to a question to mark it as correct

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This was a Discussion which doesn't provide the ability to mark something as correct.  I converted it to a Question, so now a comment (answer) could be marked as correct.  This definitely does help as it shoots that to the top of the stack making it easier for others to find the answer as opposed to digging through a bunch of muck.

marjorie_jerez
New Contributor III

Oh cool! I wasn't sure if I should have posted it as question or discussion. Thanks again Kory!

0 Kudos