Select to view content in your preferred language

LAS Dataset to Raster

Jump to solution
12-19-2023 08:30 AM
PaulJordan
Occasional Contributor

When trying to convert a las dataset to raster I can't get the output to respect the cell size setting.  No matter what I do, the end result is 10 ft cell.

PaulJordan_0-1703003427059.png

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PaulJordan
Occasional Contributor

Solution:

• Parameters - Sampling Type Cell, Sampling Value 3
  • Environments - Cell Size 3

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Under the Parameters section what did you set the 

Sampling type and Sampling Value to?  Check the reference for them in the following

LAS Dataset To Raster (Conversion)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
PaulJordan
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan - It's been a long time.  We had lunch in San Diego many years ago!  Do you know off hand which settings I should be using here.  I have parameters for Sampling type as cell size and Sampling value as 10 (defaults).  Under the environments tab I set the output coordinates, the processing extent, and cell size as 2ft.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It seems that the Sampling value is taking precedence, set it to 2 if that is what you want

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
imanebenromdhane
Occasional Contributor
If you have found a solution, I would like to know which one.
0 Kudos
imanebenromdhane
Occasional Contributor

Hi,quelques suggestions:

1/Check Software Documentation:

Review the documentation of the software being used for the conversion process. Ensure that the steps and parameters for setting the cell size are correctly followed.

2/Verify Input LAS Dataset Properties:

Check the properties of the input LAS dataset. It's important to ensure that the dataset itself does not have any predefined cell size that might be influencing the output.

Explicitly Specify Cell Size:

3/Explicitly set the cell size in the tool or script used for the conversion. Sometimes, providing the cell size directly in the conversion command or tool settings can override any default values.

4/Check Spatial Reference and Units:

Confirm that the spatial reference and units of the LAS dataset and the desired output raster are consistent. Mismatched spatial references or units can lead to unexpected results.

5/Update Software:

Ensure that the software being used is up-to-date. Sometimes, software updates include bug fixes that might address issues with cell size settings.

6/Inspect Processing Environment:

Review the processing environment settings of the GIS software. Sometimes, there are default settings that can impact the processing, and adjusting these settings may resolve the issue.

7/Consider LAS Dataset Filter:

If there is a LAS dataset filter applied during the conversion, check if it affects the cell size. Adjust or remove any filters that might be influencing the output.

8/Check for Known Issues:

Investigate whether there are known issues or limitations related to the specific version of the GIS software in use. Consult forums, user groups, or technical support resources for insights.

9/Test with Different Datasets:

Try using different LAS datasets for testing. This can help determine if the issue is specific to a particular dataset or if it persists across various datasets.

10/Reach Out to Support:

If the problem persists, consider reaching out to the software's technical support. They may have insights into the issue and provide specific guidance for resolving it.

By systematically going through these steps, your colleague may be able to identify and address the root cause of the problem with the cell size setting during the LAS dataset to raster conversion.

0 Kudos
PaulJordan
Occasional Contributor

Solution:

• Parameters - Sampling Type Cell, Sampling Value 3
  • Environments - Cell Size 3
0 Kudos
imanebenromdhane
Occasional Contributor

By following the sixth suggestion, the issue has been resolved, and I'm glad to hear that! Great job on finding a solution to the problem😊

0 Kudos