Landsat imagery causing ArcGIS Pro to crash

01-23-2022 02:10 PM
KimberlyHamm
New Contributor III

Hello! I'm trying to pull in an image so that I can calculate impervious surfaces in downtown area. I tried using Landsat images from Earth Explorer but the GeoTIFF image never wants to download - maybe too large 846 MiB. Even when I try to just download and add the data of the Thermal Image (much smaller 1.79 MiB), ArcGIS Pro still crashes. I have tried NAIP imagery as well and it always crashes. I'm guessing it's just too large of a file? I just need spectral image of a small space (100 meters out from the point of a circle). What am I doing wrong?

Thanks esri Community!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

when you say "pull in" by whatever means, isn't there an option to limit of the extent while you are doing it?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
KimberlyHamm
New Contributor III

I'm not sure - I just download the data from Earth Explorer and then when ArcGIS Pro is open, I go to "Map" tab, then "Add data", and select the first one on the list "Data". This opens my folders where the image is saved (TIFF) but when I select it, ArcGIS then crashes. 

0 Kudos
KimberlyHamm
New Contributor III

The file was not too large. I just had to extract the data and rename the folder in the downloads folder. Not sure why this solved my problem but it did in case anyone else is having the same issue. 

0 Kudos