Kernel density estimation in 3D

Jump to solution
05-28-2022 01:55 AM
Labels (1)
liu_roujun
New Contributor

Hi, I am new to  ArcGIS pro and want to do kernel density estimation.

I have X,Y,Z  features in cvs file and i import the data in 3D layer .When i apply kernel density estimation, the results become 2d.
My question is:
Is kernel density estimation applicable in Arcgis pro with 3D datasets? and can i export the output by 3d raster?(it seems that i can only export the result in 2d)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

spatial analyst extension cites...

How Kernel Density works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

My understanding is that the output of Kernel Density is 2D for XY data but you could use the Z value for the Population Field in the GP tool if it's relevant to the analysis.  With that said, there is a thread about implementing kernel density in multivariate/3D datasets using SciPy through the ArcGIS API for Python.  ArcGIS Pro 2.9.x uses SciPy 1.6.2 it seems.  Caveat to this answer - I am not a Python person by any means - but I would think it "could" work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

spatial analyst extension cites...

How Kernel Density works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
liu_roujun
New Contributor

Thank you for the reply. I have read the documentation but still not sure the situation for using kernel density.

Since the density formula in ArcGIS pro just calculates the density of (x,y) location and doesn't explain for z coordinate, i think it is more suitable for 2D. In this case, i will use this tool only for 2D datasets.

Just want to make sure if  i misunderstand the meaning of formula?  Thank you!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

My understanding is that the output of Kernel Density is 2D for XY data but you could use the Z value for the Population Field in the GP tool if it's relevant to the analysis.  With that said, there is a thread about implementing kernel density in multivariate/3D datasets using SciPy through the ArcGIS API for Python.  ArcGIS Pro 2.9.x uses SciPy 1.6.2 it seems.  Caveat to this answer - I am not a Python person by any means - but I would think it "could" work.

0 Kudos