joining .tiff files to an attribute table

Jump to solution
11-30-2022 10:26 AM
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I created a grid using Grid Index Features using .tiff files as my input features. My goal is to have each cell in the grid reference the .tiff file it falls on. Is there any way to join a .tiff file to the table for my grid so I can use the field calculator to copy the names of the .tiff files to the cell it references? I am trying to find a way to do this with a tool instead of having to manually enter in the name

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

You could create a mosaic dataset, then add the tiff files to it.

Once you have that, you can run the Export Mosaic Dataset Geometry GP tool and export the footprints as a polygon feature class.  This output FC will have a name field with the name of the tiff file for that grid.   You could just then use calculator to append the path to each filename to get what you are after. 

You can then delete the mosaic dataset when done if not needed.  (remember, if you delete a mosaic, use the Delete Mosaic Dataset GP tool and don't just delete it in Catalog)

R_

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

You could create a mosaic dataset, then add the tiff files to it.

Once you have that, you can run the Export Mosaic Dataset Geometry GP tool and export the footprints as a polygon feature class.  This output FC will have a name field with the name of the tiff file for that grid.   You could just then use calculator to append the path to each filename to get what you are after. 

You can then delete the mosaic dataset when done if not needed.  (remember, if you delete a mosaic, use the Delete Mosaic Dataset GP tool and don't just delete it in Catalog)

R_

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the response! 

I tried your method and it output the footprints of the mosaic datasets not the footprints of the .tiff files. I am trying to get the names of the sector tiles for each grid cell in the grid. I did this a couple years back using the grid index features tool. I just don't remember how I got the name of the Sector tiles for each grid cell. I may have just entered them manually but it seems there should be a gp to do this

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

If you export Footprint instead of Boundary, you get the footprints (polygon outline) of each tiff in the mosaic:

RhettZufelt_0-1669845282965.png

With just footprints, I get something like this as I also have overviews in my mosaic:

RhettZufelt_2-1669845378275.png

If I put a definition query on it to not show the overviews, all I get is the footprints for each tiff:

RhettZufelt_3-1669845456359.png

Which could then be exported to new FC without the overlapping overview polygons.

R_

SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for your help with this. I will try

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

I finally figured out how to get the footprints of the .tiff files!

Thanks for helping!

0 Kudos