Join Field Tool Overwrites Input Join Field

02-17-2023 11:32 AM
AlexVerville
New Contributor III

Hi,

Here is a screenshot of my geoprocessing window. When I run this, it does add the "Type" and "Level of Quantity Control" fields properly, but then "POND_ID" is overwritten by another field called "Pond Classification" which is not involved with the join at all. Needless to say, this is breaking my feature classes and I cannot continue working until it is resolved.

AlexVerville_1-1676661756115.png

Here is a screenshot from the attribute table showing my "POND_ID" has been overwritten by another field.

AlexVerville_0-1676663132106.png

This error has happened to me with 2 different feature classes, in 2 different projects. The first time (1 week ago) was in ModelBuilder, now its happening in the geoprocessing window. I updated to ArcGIS Pro 3.0.4 and it is still happening. 

Please help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you get the same behaviour with Add Join, which produces a temporary join?

Do you have duplicates in the key field of the destination table? (this has been reported as an issue in the past)

... sort of retired...
AlexVerville
New Contributor III

There are no duplicate IDs in either table. The temporary join works though, I'm so used to using Join Field that I forgot that was an option.

I also imported the csv into my gdb and Join Field works properly on that table. I still get the error every time I try to join the csv though so I'll have to remember to avoid that.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

yes, csv may be nice, but the shortcut of using them for a join rather than a gdb table probably isn't worth it.  If you code, then 

Table To Geodatabase (Conversion)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

could be incorporated first

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos