Issues with custom line symbologies in the legend

03-07-2022 01:43 AM
OllyD
by
New Contributor II

Hello,

I've recently been tasked with creating some utility symbologies in ArcPRO as we're migrating one of our workflows.

I've successfully created the symbologies but I'm having some real issues with the legend as you can see in the attached image (This is just a sample of the feature classes we use). My current options are either a horribly squished legend, use different patch sizes which looks untidy or use a very large patch for every feature class which is less than ideal.

I am aware I could just convert to graphics and edit the styles there but that seems to defeat the point when we're trying to automate different parts of the workflow.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Can I apply specific styles to just the legend or something?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Hemlock_Grove
New Contributor III

Can you elaborate on your end goal? Or is that the question-- what the design should be?

For example, are you just trying to align the text, are you trying to scale the patch so they're all the same width, etc. ?

0 Kudos
OllyD
by
New Contributor II

I'm trying to scale the patches so they are all the same size, but at a "reasonable" patch size and for the linetype to be legible. 

I know in map you could use an override on the legend and change the line type used for a particular symbol but that option seems absent in PRO?

0 Kudos
Hemlock_Grove
New Contributor III

I guess I'm not sure...

Does 'scale to fit patch size' under legend item --> sizing, do what you want?

I learned on Pro so can't relate to desktop 🙂

0 Kudos
OllyD
by
New Contributor II

Interesting I don't seem to have that option. Under sizing I just have the manual sizes for "patch width" and "patch height".

Wonder why that is. A versioning thing? I'm using Pro 2.9.1

0 Kudos
Hemlock_Grove
New Contributor III

I see your challenge and I'm not aware of a way to do it without converting to graphics. I find the legend difficult to work with, and its annoying because graphics don't update automatically. 

The 'scale to fit patch size' apparently is only for point features, and doesn't really help your situation it seems. 

OllyD
by
New Contributor II

I see. Thank you for your time anyways. Hopefully this is something Esri can improve in the future. 

0 Kudos