Is There a Way to Leave Space at the Bottom of a Legend?

04-18-2022 03:00 PM
TheACG7
New Contributor

I am wanting to show the distance of the "Restoration Path" Line at the bottom of my legend manually, as I haven't found another way to display the distance in the legend. My plan is to write a simple bit of text at the bottom of the legend such as "Restoration Path Distance: 1000 meters". 

Does anyone know how to either automatically display the length of the "Restoration Path" line in the legend or to leave a gap between the last legend item and the bottom border to manually insert that info? 

Thank you!Legend Picture Question.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

You can leave a gap between the border and the legend by adjusting the X and Y gaps on the Display tab of the Element pane.

AubriKinghorn_0-1650319995509.png

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
Jon-PaulMcCool
New Contributor III

Only downside to that approach for this particular purpose is that adjusting the Y gap would also expand it above the legend too.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

One way is to create another marker, move to bottom of the points legend, and set color to Null ("West" in below example).

RhettZufelt_0-1650320030233.png

RhettZufelt_1-1650320039242.png

Then you can add text as you wish.  In this case, I used dynamic text, pulling "Value" from the table of the line feature class, then appended the "ft".

RhettZufelt_2-1650320092292.png

R_

Jon-PaulMcCool
New Contributor III

If this was the only restoration path you needed with that name, you could just change the layer name to be Restoration Path: 1000 meters and that is how it would show in the legend.

You could also convert the legend to a graphic and edit it that way. 

0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Occasional Contributor III

Why not just create a Rectangle type text box with the static text and format the box to have the same colour background and width as the legend and position it below the legend (but on top of it in the table of contents to the legend doesn't cover it up). 

Additionally, you might be able to use the Dynamic text option instead of static text to place the Sum of a length field (i.e. Shape_Length) if it is in a Projected coordinate system. Add and modify dynamic text—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA