Is there a way to have “straight” connections in model builder in ArcGIS Pro?

11-08-2017 12:43 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Is there a way to have “straight” connections in model builder in ArcGIS Pro?

For example, connections in model builder in ArcMap are straight, however, in ArcGIS Pro, they are not. Is there a way to have “straight” connections in model builder in ArcGIS Pro?

This request might appear minor but I wanted to check with the experts if this is still possible in ArcGIS Pro

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
17 Replies
robertkalasek
New Contributor III

well, i guess that's not an very revolutionary idea to implement a non-automatic-at-all-mode and set that mode to default.... actually i would assume that keeping things that simple would help to avoid a bunch of trouble and thus to release energy that could be investet more efficiently ... e.g. in an improved Copy-Paste behaviour for model nodes ...

but yes - that option would help avoiding a lot of detoured connectors and thus keeping the model-graph easy to "read".

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

This appears not to be fixed even in 2.3

Jamal Numan
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It appears to be by design, I couldn't find an idea posted and it technically isn't broken

ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jamal,

If you click on the Auto Layout Button it makes the lines straight while working with the model. Currently, the links routes are not saved with the model. However, we do have an open issue to preserve the link shapes on saving a model. Sorry, for the inconvenience it is causing, but we are working to fix the issue.

Thanks!

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Many thanks Shitij for the update.

I hope that we will never be losing any tools\functionalities\behavior\properties as we migrate from ArcMap to Pro

Jamal Numan
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jamal,

No, you will not loose any tools or behaviors in ModelBuilder as you move to Pro. The only thing missing is Export to Python functionality that existed in 10x and till some version of Pro, but is currently not included in Pro's latest release. In fact, we have added new functionalities such as:

1. Logical tools,
  2. Searching  for model elements in a model,
  3. Filtering elements based on a flag in a model (the filter icon next to search box in the model view),
  4. Searching and adding tools in model directly by typing the tool name,
  5. Diagram (layout and routing options)
  6. Batch processing/models
  7. Besides ModelBuilder in particular we have added many great tools and capabilities in Geoprocessing.

Please do try these new capabilities in ArcGIS Pro. If you, or any one on this thread have ideas or need for any functionality in ModelBuilder that is missing, please do share it with us. We are listening.

Thanks!

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I tried it in Pro 2.5 and appears to work fine. Not sure if this is due to enhancement!

Jamal Numan
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Jamal,

Yes, we fixed the straight line issue. We still have a few things with links which depend on the third party library fix. We are listening to all of you