Is there a problem with ArcGIS Pro snapping environment?

Jump to solution
06-09-2015 08:38 AM
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III

I would like to take an advantage of the 64-bit environment and speedier screen refreshing for someediting we do.

Although I personally don't find the ribbon interface very intuitive and "Pro" is basically unusable for serious cartography, ArcGIS Pro editing environment seems quite nice. Except I found a problem....

When I set my snapping to only Intersection and Vertex I am unable to SPLIT my polylines at intersections and vertices. Instead, in most situations, the line is split somewhere near the intersection or vertex but not exactly at intersection/vertex. This is a pretty major issue for me personally but perhaps I am missing something. The problem occurs when snapping options are set to either pixels or units. I tested it on 3 different machines, using different spatial references, and in both ArcGIS Pro 10.0.0 and 10.0.2.

I expect the line to be spit exactly where it snaps at vertices or intersections but I am simply not able to.

Screen captures showing results of line split operation when snapped to vertices and intersection attached.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
JakubSisak

I just download the 1.1 Beta and still having the same problems.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry, I probably should have said Pro 1.1 Final.

KevinRubalcaba
New Contributor II

I am also seeing problems with snapping, even when the snapping text comes up and "locks" onto a point, once I zoom in, I can see that it did not snap.  After spending weeks working in ArcGIS Pro, I can not help but felt let down by this product.  It is clearly unfinished and I am not quite sure what I am supposed to do with it.  It has so much promise but there are so many tools and functions missing from this software and I simply can not invest a lot of time in ArcGIS Pro when I find myself having to switch back and forth from Pro to 10.3 just tom complete my daily tasks.  They are two different animals and it takes too much effort to try to use them together.  So.....the waitng game begins.  I wonder how long it will take for ArcGIS Pro to get where it should be?

JakubSisak

My personal opinion is somewhere between 5 - 8 years until the software is fully fleshed out to the point that we will no longer need ArcMap, etc.  The customization/development environment has to provide a clean upgrade path for all my custom tools first (ArcObjects, .Net) before I even consider it as a serious replacement.  Was hoping to at least do my editing in Pro and all else in ArcMap but this snapping problem threw me for a loop.  Not sure when version 1.1 is scheduled to be out but as I said I downloaded the Beta and it's still broken. @Sean did say it will be included in the final release so the world will need to wait till then to create and edit features in Pro. 

0 Kudos
LarryYoung
Esri Contributor

Kevin & Jakub,

Sorry you are both having issues with snapping.  As Sean mentioned, we have fixed some things for the 1.1 version that should be release soon.  We are confident the update will fix your issues related to snapping.

Kevin, you mentioned many missing tools and functions in ArcGIS Pro.  We are always looking to users for guidance in how to prioritize our work for the next release.  What are the top items you feel are missing from the editing environment in ArcGIS Pro?

Thanks, larry

0 Kudos
LadyKassama
New Contributor

I am using ArcGIS 2.0 and still having problems with snapping vertices. Even if the snapping is on, am still having problems having the start and end vertices to snap together. Tried all of the combination settings, saving, closing, everything still does not work.

AndrewAidt2
New Contributor III

I am using Pro 2.0 as well and cannot get snapping to work for any layer.

0 Kudos
DeniseTingstad1
New Contributor III

I am working with Pro 2.1.2 and still having problems with snapping, more specifically snapping does not work when I try to do the following:

• split a polygon
  • measuring
  • creating a new record/shape
  • trying to snap to point features

This is what I have encountered so far.

Snapping is enabled for all layers and is turned on. Is anyone else still having the same issues in Pro 2.1.2?

0 Kudos
TonyHowze
Occasional Contributor

I too am having problems with the snapping functionality disappearing.  If I restart Pro I can get it back, but this is hardly a solution.  One of the many things that are quite frustrating in Pro's "Not Ready for Primetime" release schedule.  

0 Kudos