Is there a fix for ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1 crashing during editing? 

08-24-2018 06:50 AM
HeatherHolcomb
New Contributor

Last week I upgraded from 10.3. to 10.6.1 and since then have experienced continual crashes while trying to edit a file geodatabase feature class using ArcGIS Desktop. The cashes occur at seeming random times and were varying in frequency from one every 25 minutes to one every 30 seconds. Today it escalated to one every 10 seconds. My editing consists of pretty simple cutting or merging polygons or adding data to the attribute table. It doesn't usually crash mid edit (as if it couldn't process) but happens after I've made an edit or after I've saved the file. 

I have tried MXD Doctor (no problems found), creating a new copy of the feature class, checking specs of my computer to make sure it can handle 10.6 (all good), and considered upgrading the status of the Geodatabase but that option is not available because "This 10 Geodatabase matches the ArcGIS release you are currently using."  

Any suggestions?  Please!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Try editing in a new project with new data as a test.

If that doesn't work then there may be something with your installation or your profile.

You can do a "repair" from windows control panel's Add/Remove programs to see if that fixes issues

Reset your application profile if that doesn't work.

If none of the above works your upgrade didn't go smoothly and a complete deinstall removing all artifacts of any arc* products or other products that it uses may be needed

0 Kudos
HeatherHolcomb
New Contributor

I worked my way through these steps and ended up reinstalling but am still having the same issue, along with extremely slow startup of Desktop.  I did find an old folder from 10.3 in the %appdata% (from a profile reset some time ago) before I uninstalled 10.6.1 and thought this might have been the problem.  I also went to %appdata% and deleted the whole ESRI folder after I uninstalled to make sure everything was cleared.  When I reinstalled the crashing started immediately, even when I was editing a totally new shapefile unrelated to the original geodatabase.  Could there be remnants of 10.3 or the first 10.6.1 install that is not being removed when I uninstall and any idea of where I should look for this.  Any other avenues I should pursue?  Thank you for your suggestions!

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have the ability to test this workflow in Pro (whatever version you have) at your org to see if it performs better than ArcMap 10.6.1?

0 Kudos
HeatherHolcomb
New Contributor

Unfortunately I don't think I have access to Pro.

0 Kudos
HeatherHolcomb
New Contributor

You actually might have access. I'll ask Timothy. 

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak
Occasional Contributor II

Yep. Go back to 10.5.1. I'm doing that right now, myself because 10.6.1 has been a nightmare.

0 Kudos
KlintMaliakal3
Esri Contributor

Try the following:

0 Kudos
PhillipRohrbough
New Contributor II

I've already loaded (and confirmed) that these 3 patches have been installed, yet the crashes keep happening and are actually becoming more frequent.  Plenty of space available on the C:\ drive, too.  Any other thoughts?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Phillip Rohrbough‌ have you been submitting the error reports with a valid email address?  I looked and don't see any recent submissions, so we can't analyze the dmp files.  Here's a bit more about how the process works: ArcGIS Desktop Error Reporter Learns Its Manners 

Go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports and attach a few of the latest .dmp files. The filename contains a date-time stamp:

We could at least run them through the analyzer to see if it gives us any clues.

Thank you.