Is it possible to vertically center text in a rectangle text in ArcGIS Pro?

11-29-2018 11:52 AM
ChrisDawson
New Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS Pro to update some of our old poster maps. I am trying to dynamically label individual detail maps on the poster. I have a title for each of the detail maps in a "rectangle text" item. I'd like the text in this item to be vertically centered. Based on the Format Text dialog, this seems to be possible. In fact, it works for regular text, say with a marker background, but not for rectangle text items. Am I missing something?

Tags (2)
37 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Misti, 

First, some background since this issue can be quite confusing.

The Text Symbol properties (below) are general properties that can be applied to text symbols that can come up in different contexts such as map labels, annotation and graphic text on a layout. Though most properties, such as the properties under appearance, should work for any context, some do not.

As the you see in the UI screenshot above next to the Text Symbol tab (underlined in blue) is the Text tab. Here we find properties that are specific to the context (or element) that the Text Symbol is being used in. This is key! The Text Symbol (and its properties, in particular the Position properties) don't know anything about the context in which the text is being used.

The Text Symbol doesn't know if it is in a rectangle, or a circle. It doesn't know how much space there is to fit the text. It does know how wide you initially drew the text element and this is why horizontal alignment works. If text flowed vertically we would have the same limitation, but for horizontal alignment instead of vertical. Vertical alignment does not work with paragraph text elements because it was not originally designed to work in this context. And, unfortunately, it is not a simple matter to just get a setting designed for one context to work in others.

I'm sure you have noticed that there are properties for the text element, separate from Text Symbol, that also deal with the position of the text.

These properties are aware of, and specific to the context in which the text is being used. This is way we have 2 different tabs: Text and Text Symbol. One context specific and one more general. 

We know that many, like yourself, want the ability to vertically align text within a text element - see Allow Rectangle Textbox to Grow/Shrink and Vertically Justify Text . 

As for your request on adding vertical alignment options I would recommend adding your idea to https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas 

Hope this helps, 

Tom

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Misti, 

For tracking purposes you can use BUG-000121263.

Tom

EmilyMacasero
New Contributor

I think this is still a problem. Mine is still greyed out. Did anyone find a solution? 

EmilyMacasero_0-1631573770315.png

FordTanner
New Contributor

just updated to 2.8.3 and it's still an issue

RichardPoche
New Contributor II

Still broken on 2.8.3...

ScottBaum1
New Contributor II

Still broken at 2.9.2.  Seems very simple, but obviously not a priority.  I think I have found a workaround however.  The vertical position of the text in a rectangle text box can be adjusted using the Offset Y setting in the Position section of the Text Symbol.  Not ideal but it worked for my purposes.

Jimmy_Simpson
New Contributor III

This issue is very frustrating when working with layouts. There has to be a way to have a text box where the text can be vertical centered as well as have the text wrap to a specific width.

Would also love to see a option for polygon text boxes that can have both the above features, and actually shrink the text size if the text overruns the box. Similar to the legend properties of "minimum text size".

0 Kudos
KristineShepherdson
New Contributor

Hi. was this issue fixed?
I have a dynamic text, in a mapbook that changes # of rows with each page. The only way to make it look decent is if the dynamic text can vertically align and that option is grayed out:

KristineShepherdson_0-1655413676574.png

Jimmy_Simpson
New Contributor III

@KristineShepherdson @TomBole 

2.9.3 still not a center option. Doubt anything with 3.0 next week either. Maybe Tom can update us. 

Tom is there a link to track the BUG you referenced so we can check the status?

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jimmy, 

BUG-000121263 is specific to the control in the Text Symbol pane. It states "The vertical alignment in Text Properties of a new layout does not work in ArcGIS Pro." Text Symbol properties were originally designed for text (labels, annotation) and not necessarily for a layout "paragraph" text element. These properties work within the bounding box of the font itself. They are not designed to also recognize the "extent box" of the layout element as well. 

Most properties transfer pretty well to a layout text element - but not all do. In order to avoid confusion we disabled this control. It probably never should have been enabled in the first place. 

I understand that you want this capability and that disabling the control is not the ideal solution. That is why I  recommended adding comments to Allow Rectangle Textbox to Grow/Shrink and Vertically Justify Text or adding a new post on the Ideas site.

Adding this capability probably requires a separate control that specifically handles the extent of the layout text element separate from the Text Symbol font.

Sorry for any confusion my earlier comments may have caused. I hope this clears things up. I'll pass these comments along to the Team Lead.

Tom

0 Kudos