Is it possible to vertically center text in a rectangle text in ArcGIS Pro?

11-29-2018 11:52 AM
ChrisDawson
New Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS Pro to update some of our old poster maps. I am trying to dynamically label individual detail maps on the poster. I have a title for each of the detail maps in a "rectangle text" item. I'd like the text in this item to be vertically centered. Based on the Format Text dialog, this seems to be possible. In fact, it works for regular text, say with a marker background, but not for rectangle text items. Am I missing something?

Tags (2)
37 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

you could try stack and horizontal alignment.

ChrisDawson
New Contributor II

Ah. Thanks. If I were labeling in the map, that would probably work. Unfortunately, I'm trying to work with a layout.

MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

oh.. OK  well I am currently testing a development version of ArcGIS Pro (2.3) and it appears to be working... so perhaps a bug in your version.

You do have to click the Apply button to see it change in the layout.

0 Kudos
ChrisDawson
New Contributor II

Hm. Can you check to see if the vertical centering works. I've already confirmed the horizontal...

MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

ahh I need to read better...  "vertical aligned"    I see the same.  Not working the way one would think it should.

0 Kudos
ChrisDawson
New Contributor II

And here my hopes were up that the beta would solve all my problems...wah, wah, wah...

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for making ESRI aware of this issue, though.

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

In the meantime, you can use Offset X and Offset Y to position text within the rectangle. Unfortunately, you'll need to make adjustments for each text element based on size of rectangle and text string.

0 Kudos
ChrisDawson
New Contributor II

Yes. Thank you. I've used that work around. It'll do for now, but is less than ideal on a programmatic basis, especially in map series.