Is it possible to point a map frame to a different map?

Jump to solution
03-23-2020 09:37 AM
TimLangner
Occasional Contributor III

I need to produce six maps at A1 and six maps at A3 and on them the only thing to change is one layer of information. This is in ArcGIS Pro 2.5.

I am creating a layout for the first map.

Is it possible to copy this and then in the copied version, point the map frame to a different map.

Workflow is

Map 1 show on Layout 1 in a Map Frame

Copy  Layout 1 to be Layout 2.

Now wish to point the Map Frame away from Map 1 to point to Map 2.

In doing this the map frame will remain in the same place on the page and all the titles; scales and keys will be in the same place - prior to them being shifted according to the amount of symbology that is to be displayed.

I could create a bookmark is the location and scale cannot be maintained.

If this isn't possible does anyone have any other ideas on the fastest way to create multiple maps with identical layout positions?

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimLangner

I've now found the answer:

Add and modify map frames—Layouts | Documentation 

Change the map

Point the map frame to another map in the project.

In the Format Map Frame pane on the Options tab, under Map Frame, choose a different map or scene from the drop-down menu.

In the Current selection tab, under Map Frame -> Formate, there is a small box with an arrow that is titled Element Properties. Not sure where the Options tab is, assuming it exists under that name. I couldn't see it but maybe it's located elsewhere.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TimLangner

I've now found the answer:

Add and modify map frames—Layouts | Documentation 

Change the map

Point the map frame to another map in the project.

In the Format Map Frame pane on the Options tab, under Map Frame, choose a different map or scene from the drop-down menu.

In the Current selection tab, under Map Frame -> Formate, there is a small box with an arrow that is titled Element Properties. Not sure where the Options tab is, assuming it exists under that name. I couldn't see it but maybe it's located elsewhere.

JonahLay
Esri Contributor

Hi Tim,

Glad you figured it out! Thanks for sharing. The Options tab should be the first tab in the Format Map Frame pane (pictured below).

Cheers,

Jonah

TimLangner

Many thanks. That answers the question perfectly. I could have done with an image like that in the help documentation. It's very text-heavy and light on screenshots.

TimLangner

I've just realised something.

It says in the Map Format Pane.

At the bottom of that Pane is wording Elements.

What is that section of the Pane referred to us? It can't be Pane title as that is Map Format unless there are two titles.

0 Kudos
JonahLay
Esri Contributor

Hi Tim,

Since the help topic mentions "Format Map Frame pane", that would refer to the entire pane that allows you to point to any map or scene in your project. The word "Elements" you see at the bottom is so named because Map Frame is only one part of the many layout elements available to you. There are others. For more information, see Work with layout elements—Layouts | Documentation

Hope this clears up some confusion,

Jonah 

0 Kudos