Is it normal for ArcGIS Pro to take 20+ minutes for field calculating ~65k records?

03-06-2020 06:52 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Pro is a lot faster than Desktop in most of what it does, but field calculating is still extremely painful on a large number of records. I know it isn't my PC. It exceeds the recommended system requirements. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In general, no, it is not "normal" for Pro to take 20+ minutes to calculate a field with that many records.  That said, any discussion on the performance of calculating fields starts with sharing what the data source is because calculating fields with a local file geodatabase vs enterprise geodatabase vs hosted feature layer all perform very different.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The feature class is part of an enterprise geodatabase.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That doesn't surprise me.  I am guessing if you dumped the data to a FGDB and tested the same calculation, it would be < 30 seconds.  If you are working with a version that has a very long/deep state tree, it can lead to significant performance degradation for activities like updating data.  I would speak to someone who manages your EGDB and have them look at how many versions are outstanding and see if those versions can be reconciled and posted.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I actually handle the versioning on our geodatabases. This one in particular does not make use of versioning.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

What is the RDBMS type and version being used?

Is the Pro client in the same location as the EGDB?

Is there a relationship class, archiving, editor tracking involved on the feature class?

What is the calculation that is being performed?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You might also check how much geoprocessing history is in the feature class and / or the feature itself.

That should just about do it....
Amarz
by
Occasional Contributor II

I am running into this exact same thing. Using a FGDB I am adding the Zoning info into my Parcel data. Steps taken, are as follows:

1. Create Field (Zoning) in the Parcel Layer

2. Calculate Field: Using Arcade script that returns the Intersect of the Centroid of the Zoning layer.

Any ideas on how to make this process faster?

0 Kudos