Inverse Drive Time Shape

Jump to solution
03-01-2021 09:33 AM
Labels (3)
JamesWenyon
New Contributor III

Good Day All,

I am working a little bit with drive time and I was wondering if there was a setting or a tool that I could run to get the inverse shape of a feature. For example I have a picture attached that has drive time for hospitals in green. Is there a process I can run other than tracing/drawing that can create me a shape of everything not in green.  

Any advice to get me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. My main goal is to create a shape to display areas outside the drive time.

One thing I was able to do was create a new field and say yes or no if the parcel is inside the drive time zone. BUT I would like to create a shape if I can.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I don't know if I'm oversimplifying or misunderstanding, but you can just take a larger polygon (draw a rectangle feature class/shapefile around your current extent) and then erase the drivetime polygon from it Erase (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation.

I know you said you don't want to draw anything but it is very painless.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I don't know if I'm oversimplifying or misunderstanding, but you can just take a larger polygon (draw a rectangle feature class/shapefile around your current extent) and then erase the drivetime polygon from it Erase (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation.

I know you said you don't want to draw anything but it is very painless.

0 Kudos
JamesWenyon
New Contributor III

Hi David,

I had never used the erase tool since it is part of the advanced license.

But, I was able to do a pairwise erase and from what I can tell the process did what it was supposed to do. For some reason erase is not part the basic license but pairwise erase is apart of basic licensing. 

DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Ah, well.  If it works.

I just read the documentation on pairwise erase and still have no idea what the difference is.