Invalid JSON - Explorer App

06-25-2018 03:33 PM
MichaelFettkether
New Contributor

I created my map with ArcGIS Pro 2.1. Tried uploading it with “Share Web Map” so I can use it with the Explorer app. I have done this loads of times without issue. I recently copied my shp files into geodatabases. When I ran an analysis before uploading it told me I needed to set a template first. I uploaded anyways and I received the Invalid JSON on those layers that were switched to a geodatabase. I assumed it had to do with the error message, so I fixed the template issue. But when I erased it off the online account and uploaded it again I’m receiving the same message. I cannot seem to figure out what is wrong. When viewing the map with the online account everything works ok, just not when I try to view it with the explorer app. The map will load, all my other layers are fine, just the two I switched are giving me fits. Any ideas what would be causing this “Invalid JSON” error message in the Explorer app?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Michael,

Not sure if this applies to your data, but I have seen an "invalid json" error when opening a map in Explorer with symbols based on a field of type 'Date Time' that has feature attributes with '<null>' values.  Editing the <null> values to actual dates, or removing the <null> values from the symbol classification, worked around the issue.

This error can also occur if the feature is symbolized with SVG images (marker symbols).  The map opens, but the layer does not display.  If you look at the layers, it will say "Invalid JSON" in the layer list.  To work around this issue, don't use SVG images for marker symbols in the map.

Mark

0 Kudos
MichaelFettkether
New Contributor

I tried filling in all the dates with a value.  When I uploaded it, those layers then worked but some other layers now have the Invalid JSON message.  So I updated those as well and then uploaded again.  Now the original layers have issues again.  My problem seems to be moving around.  

I assume I'm not using SVG images, as they are all just the standard dots created by default in ArcGIS Pro? Please forgive me as I'm new to all of this and still trying to figure it all out.  But the issue I'm experiencing is just as you described it on the second part of your reply.  

0 Kudos
MichaelFettkether
New Contributor

Updated findings,

So if I close the app and reload it, different layers have the Invalid JSON messages! Bug in the app maybe?

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Michael,

Could you share your MMPK with me?

I could take a look and see what I can figure out.

Thanks,
Mark

0 Kudos
MichaelFettkether
New Contributor

I'll share it with you, how do I do that?

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Michael,

You can share your MMPK with me using ArcGIS Online. 

This blog article explains the steps.  Sharing content privately between organizations 

Basically, create a group share your MMPK with the group and invite me Mark Bockenhauer (mark_nitro) to join the group.

Mark

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Michael Fettkether‌ were you able to resolve this? I'm also getting Invalid JSON on my layers in Explorer. None of the suggestions have helped me.

0 Kudos
MichaelFettkether
New Contributor

No I was not able to get this resolved.  Only real luck I had was closing the app and reloading it. Then there was a chance that the error would disappear on that layer, but all it did was then have an error on another layer.  Sometimes you can also get lucky by opening that map with collector classic and/or the new collector app.

0 Kudos
NathanBruce1
Occasional Contributor

Has there been any news regarding this? The issue persists despite setting empty date fields to be a specific year/time as a workaround with the "New" Collector and Explorer, though Classic Collector works fine.  This is a big problem.   

#agol applications #agol error