Select to view content in your preferred language

International Feet vs. US Feet measurements

Jump to solution
08-07-2023 08:30 AM
Craig_Eissler_Iceman
Occasional Contributor III

There seems to be several terms used to describe measurements in units of feet.

Is the "matching" chart below correct with respect to Int'l vs. U.S.?

"Imperial is the one that confuses me the most, because i read that the U.S. is the only country still using it. If so, why do we also have US Feet?

Thanks,

Craig_Eissler_Iceman_1-1691421916045.png

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

The following table should help:

International footUS survey foot
Imperial footUS foot
FootSurvey foot

Note that, ArcGIS Pro didn’t differentiate between the two distinct foot definitions previously and this was updated in ArcGIS Pro 3.0. 

As in the NOAA publication referenced: 

"U.S. survey foot is retired and replaced by international foot."

"From this point forward, surveyors will refer to the international foot as simply the foot."

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
AndrewLeason
Esri Contributor

Those terms have been in ArcGIS for years. However, if we now remove them then data that people have been using in those units will suddenly stop working, which would be a problem for a lot of users. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AndrewLeason
Esri Contributor

Craig,

The difference between International and US Survey Feet is that the international foot is defined as 0.3048 meters, whereas the US survey foot is 1200/3937 meters (or 0.30480061). However, earlier this year Congress retired the US survey foot as a unit of measure.

I hope this helps, Andrew.

Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Thanks for that info, but now I guess I have even more questions

If US Foot and Survey Foot are the same, then US Foot is being retired, as well?

And, what about my Imperial question?

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@Craig_Eissler_Iceman Great question! Looks like you have screenshots from ArcGIS documentation - always helpful if you include the reference link. 

Anyway, if your focus is Feet, there are just two:

1 International foot = 0.3048 meters

1 US survey foot = 0.3048006096 meters

The two federal agencies, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) retired use of the “U.S. survey foot” on December 31, 2022.

Reference: https://www.noaa.gov/stories/thinking-on-our-feet-december-31-marks-end-of-us-survey-foot

US survey units are based on imperial units (British) and sometimes used interchangeably. As noted above there may be a slight difference between specific US survey units and its corresponding imperial units.   

Reference: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/distance-formats-for-editing.htm 

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Yes, but what about answering my question with the different results using the same unit of measure?

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@Craig_Eissler_Iceman It will help if you provide specific links, tools and version of ArcGIS Pro being used.

Note that, ArcGIS Pro didn’t differentiate between the two distinct foot definitions previously and this was updated in ArcGIS Pro 3.0. 

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

I am NOT using two different units of measure. Both are being calculated using NAD83 State Plane, Texas Central, Feet. 

0 Kudos
rzufelt
Occasional Contributor

Perhaps you should actually 'post' that question...

R_

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

I did in another Post, but the person replying brought it to this Post, so then things got tangled up.

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

And, there are not just 2 "terms", there are 5 -- and I am attempting to associate them with the 2 you mention. ...All of the terms below are used in ArcGIS, so it's confusing which are synonymous.

International Foot
US Foot

(AND)

Feet
Survey Feet
Imperial

0 Kudos