Insert x,y coordinates in attribute table, point feature not plotted

10-08-2018 01:43 PM
JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

Hi.  I am working with a feature class of point locations with associated attributes in ArcGIS Pro.  The feature class was created from a csv file exported from another database.  Some of the features do not have latitude and longitude coordinates in the attribute table (e.g., PO Box ## entered as the street address and could not be geocoded).  I have been locating these points manually and retrieving the coordinate pair from another map system.  I then copy/paste to enter the coordinates in the attribute table, but the point is not drawn on the map.  I was under the assumption that when the location information was added to the attribute table, the point would be drawn.  I tried the Replace Geometry gp tool, but that didn't work.  What am I missing and need to do to have the map recognize the coordinates and plot the point features?  Many thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

The Make XY Event Layer geoprocessing tool will make a temporary layer in your Contents Pane based upon XY coordinates.  If you want to make the XY Event Layer permanent then you can export to a new feature class in your geodatabase.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Jay  since there is no automagic addition, and make xy event layer would have to be done every time you stopped and started again, you might just want to create the points manually as you go 

Create point and multipoint features—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Create one or more point features using one of the following methods:

• Click the map.
  • Right-click and click Absolute X,Y,ZAbsolute XYZ, or press the F6 key, type the values in the dialog box, and press Enter.
0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

Jay,

Since the data is bound to update (addition of missing coordinates) you can use the Make XY Event Layer—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop but do not export the file as it will become permanent. Save the project.

Now once you receive the coordinates for the points missing them, you can simply update them in the input .csv and the points geometry in the XY Event layer will be automatically updated. You will not have to update the attribute table and export or get into other editing issues.

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
JayHodny

Hi all, my apologies for not replying sooner.  I was pulled onto other GIS projects, but I am now back working on this one.  Thank you for the suggestions, I now have a better understanding on how the XY event layer works and how to use it.

Sincerely,
Jay

0 Kudos
J_Drummond
New Contributor

The Replace Geometry tool allows you to plot a point on the basemap for the highlighted entry in your attribute tool. Then you can Calculate Geometry to populate the missing coordinates. 

0 Kudos