In Arcgis "pro" - is there a way to convert labels to annotation for a "single" layer? I only see a tool to convert labels for an entire map.

Jump to solution
12-22-2017 09:37 AM
AliForrester
New Contributor II

I only see a tool to convert labels for an entire map.  I just want to run this for an individual layer.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Ali,

To label for a single layer it's just a case of turning off the labels for the other layers in the map and then running the tool.  You can easily do this on the labeling view of the contents pane.  The image below has labeling on for the Roads layer.  When you run convert labels to annotation at this point, only the roads labels will be converted.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I too only see the Convert Labels to Annotation GP tool for the Input Map vs. a single layer.  I guess one workaround is to add a single layer to a temporary map, set your label properties and run the GP tool.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

annotations are handled differently in Pro, so that is probably the reason

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/annotation/managing-annotation-feature-classes.htm

WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Ali,

To label for a single layer it's just a case of turning off the labels for the other layers in the map and then running the tool.  You can easily do this on the labeling view of the contents pane.  The image below has labeling on for the Roads layer.  When you run convert labels to annotation at this point, only the roads labels will be converted.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Really frustrating. Agree that "pro" should have common ArcMap functionality.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

You'll get this in ArcGIS Pro 2.4 slated for release in June/July https://community.esri.com/ideas/15058-convert-labels-to-annotation-functionality-similar-to-arcmap

0 Kudos
danashney
New Contributor III

Rediculous

Aghyan
by
New Contributor III

Too much effort and times for just converting two streets labels to annotation in PRO. I had to turn off more than 20 layers. It crashed two times and I lost all updated on the map! In the end, I wasn't able to move the annotations to the place I wanted !!

SterlingLoetz5
New Contributor III

I agree, this is absolutely ridiculous. I waste so much time converting labels to annotation in pro. ArcMap is almost instantaneous compared to Pro. Just populating the parameters in the Convert Labels to Annotation geoprocessing tool takes ten minutes because Pro just sits there spinning it's wheels. I was very excited to use Pro and now I regret moving large projects to Pro.

WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Sterling,

are you seeing this lag with the tool after the geoprocessing cache has been built?  if you run a different gp tool first and then this one do you still see the lag?

thanks

wendy

0 Kudos