In ArcGIS Pro, how do you make an OLE DB connection to a database like you can in ArcCatalog?

09-24-2018 10:52 AM
CherylTrine
Occasional Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1.  I have a non-spatial table in a MySQL database that I need to be able to join to a table from a file geodatabase.  In ArcCatalog this was done using a separate command (Add OLE DB Connection) and filling in the MySQL database info.  I've had it set up for years and it works fine (I don't edit the data, just read it).   How do I do it in ArcGIS Pro?

Cheryl

18 Replies
CherylTrine

In the back of my mind I had been thinking about a map service.  Hadn't played around with whether or not that was possible, just assumed it was.  Of course, I hadn't thought AGP wouldn't be able to connect to the MySQL data in the first place.

By the time I get around to the map service, the geospatial data will be in our RDBMS instead of a file gdb.  A file gdb is just what we are using right now.

0 Kudos
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

This is why the upset on dropping the MS Access geodatabase, this affects FAR MORE than Access.  The power and speed of MS ACCESS comes with its ability to Link multitudes of various datasources in combination with Geometry.   Albeit the Geo-processing is slow, the speed on analyzing and viewing related data from multiple sources as well as its ability to be embedded in Most not all applications makes it a POWERFUL timesaving tool.  Those of you who do not use MS Assess as your geodatabase, be advised dropping access has far more reaching affects other than MS Access itself.

Please do put your use case in as well as voting here as well  Enable ArcGIS Pro to access ESRI Personal Geodatabases

Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Just suggesting a workaround, incase you would like to try it out:

1. Create a Linked Server connection to the MySQL database from SQL Server (Access MySQL data from SQL Server via a Linked Server)

2. In your SQL Server database, create a View, pulling data from the non-spatial table in MySQL database.

3. Use the View in ArcGIS Desktop.

0 Kudos
CherylTrine

This looks interesting.  I'll have to check into it.  I have not worked with views, yet, so . . . something more to learn!

TMull
by
New Contributor

Did you ever get MySQL working in Pro?

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Relevant link to a 3rd of April 2019 post by Cole Andrews that suggests ESRI internally already created an enhancement request for this:

https://community.esri.com/ideas/13645-microsoft-access-accdb-support-in-arcgis-pro#comment-72023 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, this doesn't fully answer your question but ODBC connectivity is possible:

https://community.esri.com/community/open-platform-standards-and-interoperability/blog/2019/09/26/us... 

ColeAndrews
Occasional Contributor III

Posting this update on the OLE DB/ODBC related threads. 2.6!

0 Kudos