Importing/Uploading Groundwater lab data to the sample location

11-29-2020 08:05 AM
Labels (2)
GrantMiller1
New Contributor II

Hello, I'm am new to GIS and want to know if there is a way to import groundwater analysis from a lab report into GIS. Specifically I am wondering if there is a way to import the data and have it linked to the correct sample point on the map.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

It might help if you give some/any detail of the report and its format.

0 Kudos
GrantMiller1
New Contributor II

Yeah sorry about that. I can receive lab data in .txt or .csv. - I was wondering if I can import that lab data into GIS and make sure it corresponds to the correct location. 

We take groundwater samples from various monitoring wells around a site and run analysis on the water. So I'm thinking of something like an attribute table possibly that will contain the chemical compound and its concentration for a specific monitoring well. 

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm guessing each sample doesn't have the xy of the well, but probably (hopefully) does have which well it came from.  All you would need is to add an x and y field/column to the csv and populate it with the xy coordinates of the corresponding well. 

You could even just have the wells mapped, then join by attributes (e.g. matching well names) to append the values to the well feature.

It kind-of depends whether you would want a feature for every sample, or to append every new sample to a single well feature each time - resulting in multiple columns, or possible a single column populated with a delimited list of values e.g [ [Monday 1 Dec, 1.2 mmol/L U, 4 mmol/L Ra], [Friday 5 Dec, 9 mmol/L U, 8 mmol/L Ra] ]

Do you have any gis software or are you looking to use arcgis online?

0 Kudos
GrantMiller1
New Contributor II

We have a license at my company. I downloaded ArcPro for learning purposes and have been doing the tutorials. I'm an environmental geologist that deals with goundwater. I'm more familiar with CAD but liking the tools that GIS is capable of. 

And yes, all the wells are already plotted with coordinates. I'm just confused on adding multiple lines of data for one weel 

i.e lets say MW-1 is run for benzene (0.004 mg/L), toluene (1.7 mg/L),  and xylenes (0.08 mg/L) on 111/29/20. Is there a way in GIS to set this data up and have it displayed?  

0 Kudos