Imported Coordinate System does not fit

Jump to solution
02-24-2022 12:37 AM
MarinaBernhard
New Contributor II

Hello,

I need help with coordinate systems in ArcGIS Pro Version 2.6.

I tried to get Feature Class layers from gridded climate data of the DWD in ASC format using the tool 3D ASCII in Feature Class after I imported the projected coordinate system from DWD -> https://opendata.dwd.de/climate_environment/CDC/grids_germany/multi_annual/air_temperature_mean/BESC...

It´s DHDN_3_Degree_Gauss_Zone_3

ASC Data is from -> https://opendata.dwd.de/climate_environment/CDC/grids_germany/multi_annual/air_temperature_mean/

The so done layers all ended up in the ocean southwest from Africa wich is absolutely incorrect.

I also tried to change separator from point to comma; that doesn´t change anything.

Tried different coordinate systems... all layers ended up in the ocean but they should cover Germany!

I have no idea what else could help and really hope to find a solution here.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ASCII To Raster (Conversion)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

or its replacement

Copy Raster (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

but make sure that the file extension is *.asc as noted in the warning

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

open it in a text editor, what does the header look like and the first couple of rows? 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MarinaBernhard
New Contributor II

NCOLS 654
NROWS 866
XLLCORNER 3280414.711633467
YLLCORNER 5237500.62890625
CELLSIZE 1000
NODATA_VALUE -999...

that`s what the first rows look like.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Why do 2 EPSG Codes exist for the same coordinate system? - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exc...

was the right one specified, it appears from that thread that there is some issue between the deprecated one and the replacement

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MarinaBernhard
New Contributor II

Same problem again. Germany in the atlantic ocean 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check on their data portal for further description.  If the coordinate extent aren't over germany then something may be wrong with the data or the assigned coordinate system.  The eastings look large for a 3 degree transverse mercator in any event

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MarinaBernhard
New Contributor II

Thank you for the support. I checked data portal and descriptions from DWD twice. And wrote them what happens with their data in ArcGIS Pro.

I now competed ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro:

ArcPro_Text.JPG

ArcPro sees the data as text, arcMap sees it as raster data and I can drag & drop it from the catalog to the map. Impossible in ArcPro and as you see in picture below in DHDN_3_Degree_Gauss_Zone_3 EPSG: 31467 germany is at the correct place.

ArcMap_ASC_DHDN3.JPG

Why does ArcPro see the data as text and ArcMap as raster data and put it at the right place? same data, same pc and nearby same time

Where is the Tool ASCII to raster in ArcPro? It´s missing in the Toolbox??? I really need to solve this problem.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ASCII To Raster (Conversion)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

or its replacement

Copy Raster (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

but make sure that the file extension is *.asc as noted in the warning

... sort of retired...
MarinaBernhard
New Contributor II

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ❤️ 

0 Kudos