Select to view content in your preferred language

Import XML workspace into enterprise geodatabase with different spatial reference system

06-14-2020 11:31 PM
Cristian_Galindo
Frequent Contributor

An XML document with the schema definition (No data) of a geodatabase (ESRI Format) is available to be restored in another server (UPDM definition 2018).
That definition was created with the spatial reference 102968 (NAD_1983_2011_Michigan_GeoRef_Meters). It is required to apply this schema to a brand new geodatabase but using the spatial reference WGS84.

The tool Import XML workspace does not have the option to change the spatial reference.

This document is a one-line xml whit a huge amount of data. It is quite cumbersome to change the spatial reference, moreover if you do not have the knowledge of the xml schema.

Is there a way to automatically change the spatial reference either in the XML or in the import process?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mdonnelly
Esri Contributor

Hello Cristian,

To my knowledge, I don't think there is a way to do what you want. I would not be confident that by simply changing text in the XML file that the geometries would also change their coordinate system.

The only reliable method I can think of is to import the XML document into a geodatabase (it doesn't have to be the end target database) and then reproject all of the data to the required coordinate system. The Project tool creates a new output feature class, which can be written to the end target geodatabase.

To make it easier, you could script the whole thing in Python, cycling through the feature datasets and feature classes.

Mark

Regards,
Mark
0 Kudos
Cristian_Galindo
Frequent Contributor

Hello Mark, 

currently the UPDM XML document does not include any data, therefore, i do not care about it.

0 Kudos