Import coordinates from .xls, .xlsx, .csv what do you need to think about?

Jump to solution
10-05-2021 12:02 AM
Labels (1)
CarolineLindhe
Occasional Contributor

Coming from ArcMap there are so many more options importing/displaying coordinates in ArcGIS Pro. It also feels like ArcGIS Pro is more forgiving and accepts coordinates formated in different ways. I've been trying to find out from ArcGIS Pro Help how the coordinates need to be configured before importing them but haven't been able to find an answer.

I've found the following tools to import (for points):

1. Table to Point Feature Class (right click a table in Catalog)
  2. Coordinate Conversion
  3. Convert Coordinate Notation
  4. Coordinate Table To Points
  5. Display XY Data
  6. XY Table To Point

In my world, 1, 5 and 6 can only import decimal degrees for latitude and longitude while 2, 3 and 4 also can import degrees decimal minutes and degrees minutes seconds. Is this a correct assumption? 

For 2, 3 and 4 how can the coordinates in the table be written? Does it accept N and E and the degree sign?

Happy for any clarification!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarolineLindhe
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply Dan. If I could I would stick to DD, but it is not my choice. I found this with a bit of help https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/supported-notation-formats.h... which was just what I was looking for. Case solved!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Stick with decimal degrees.  Use xlsx or csv if you must

using ExcelToTable tool

Work with Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

but also ensure that you explicitly format columns in excel for their data type (eg numeric, text) AND provide an appropriate <null> value rather than leaving blank cells  in the spreadsheet prior to import

If you truly want to make things more difficult for yourself, the coordinate conversion is customizable

Customize an output coordinate format—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
CarolineLindhe
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply Dan. If I could I would stick to DD, but it is not my choice. I found this with a bit of help https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/supported-notation-formats.h... which was just what I was looking for. Case solved!

0 Kudos