Select to view content in your preferred language

Import 3D files create holes in imported feature

10-24-2023 11:49 AM
KennethLindhardt1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, I'm really struggling here. OBJ files from drone surveys are coming in. I told that they need to be offset, so each "tile" of the obj file is 100x100 , meters. The OBJ centerpoint is in the left bottom, as 0,0, the next tile to the left is then 0,100, so they all reference to the same center point. That made sense.

Figured out, that that's not how import 3D files works. The OBJ get imported in the center of a point. No worries, I have alle the tiles and created center points of the tile polygon. It works, and the the obj is placed correctly. However, it is skipping/deleting a lot, so the models now have wholes:

KennethLindhardt1_0-1698171617599.png

So that's one thing, can anyone help with fixing that?

In desperation I turned to data I/O (FME) Now my brilliant though about having my obj's offset makes sense. All the OBJ's pops in next to each other, but OBJ don't have any coordinate system using WGS84 web mercator I calculated the offset from the imported lowest corner, to the correct placement lowest corner. In FME I added an offsetter, with my calculated offset. It drops in perfectly placed, however each tile is 5 meter too small. I think this would have something to do with moving half around the world. from outside the coast of Africa to Vietnam. I've tried with more local coordinate systems, but either the 100x100 meter turns into 8 or 11 km, or the model is no where to be found.

If the first thing can't work, any idea on how to get the right size offset using FME?

0 Kudos
0 Replies