Identifying the steepest segment of a line in ARC GIS Pro

Jump to solution
02-01-2021 09:18 AM
AndrewMulford
New Contributor III

Hi, I am attempting to identify the steepest portions of a line in arcgis pro. I have a line feature with z values and a DEM. I have calculated maximum slope for the entire line using the "Add Surface Information Tool". Now I would like to identify the location of this maximum slope along the line. Is there a tool for this in ARC GIS Pro?

Thanks, 

-Andrew

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would need examples from your tables to see what is going on.

Use Add Geometry attributes to get the x, y coordinates of the start end points and their Z values.

Also... You are using projected data (?)

... sort of retired...
AndrewMulford
New Contributor III

Ok, The data is in a GCS. I ran split line at vertices and then ran the add Geometry tool. Then I added a field "avg_slope" and used the python script you gave me in the field calculator. Still getting very large values. I am attaching a screenshot. The average slope of the entire line is 8% and I am trying to identify segments that are above 15 %. I am attaching a screenshot of the table. Cant thank you enough for your patience and help!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Your slopes will make no sense if your x and y are not in planar units (aka meters) since your elevations are in planar units (meters).

Slope has to be calculated using projected coordinates.  Either use a projected file (like a UTM or even an Albers or something local) or use the Add Geometry Attributes to get the coordinates in projected units before calculating slope

... sort of retired...
AndrewMulford
New Contributor III

That did the trick! You are a hero. Thanks for the kind and patient help. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Glad it worked out!

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos