Identify segments that are true curves and the curve properties

11-17-2021 06:21 AM
LyonMNGIS
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I am trying to identify true curve segments within a File Geodatabase layer. I know we can manually see if a single segment is a curve by selecting editing vertices in the edit tools pane, then for each segment within a feature we can right click and select "Change Segment."  From there we can see if the segment is already a line, or a  circular arc (true curve).  This seems like a lot of drilling down and I suspect there may be a cleaner way to identify curves.

Questions:

• The edit vertices tool displays the xy coordinates for each vertex in a line each line / feature which is shown in the bottom right of the image.  However, it does not identify if a segment between the vertices are a strait line or curve.  Is this possible?  In the example the segment between vertex 2 and 3 is a true curve.
  • Within a layer can we bulk identify lines or segments that contain a true curve?
  • As a bonus can we identify the properties of a curve such as the radius, arc length, etc?

Thanks!

LyonMNGIS_0-1637157930776.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

in arcpy's polyline class there is a hascurves method which would enable you to  determine polyline segments that have curves

Polyline—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

I wonder what you would like as the output.  Do you want an output that contains only the true curves, each as a feature or multipart feature for multiple curves from the same original feature? If possible, could you describe how you are going to use them in your workflow? Thanks.

0 Kudos