Select to view content in your preferred language

I want to create a realistic chain link fence in an arcgis pro scene

01-10-2023 06:23 PM
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

I am trying to get a rendering of a future construction site using an arcgis pro scene.  I have done buildings as a multipatch in the past, but I am really struggling to get a chain link fence that looks right.  If I create a multipatch feature, sketch a rectangle, lift it up, that works great for a building.  for a fence, I need to:

1. not show the top of the cube

2. the sides need to be hatched in a chain link pattern, not just solid and a texture doesnt help to see through the chain links.

3. the rectangular shapes need to instead follow the contours of the ground with a 6' height from the ground. 

4. periodically, every 6 or so feet, I need to show a cylinderical post, I suppose I should be able to do that by extruding points as a cylinder, but every time I have tried that in the past, it did not work.

Any tips, tricks, help?

Cheers,

Justin Johnston

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SimonSchütte_ct
Occasional Contributor III

Take a look at CityEngine rule packages (Fence_On_Graph.cga)ESRI.lib—ArcGIS CityEngine Resources | Documentation
Some RPKs can be used in ArcGIS Pro (writing a cga and packaging it as rpk does not necessarily require CityEngine): 
Procedural symbology—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation
Features From CityEngine Rules (3D Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Here is one example: 

SimonSchtte_ct_0-1673426171568.png

What's new in CityEngine 2018.1—ArcGIS CityEngine Resources | Documentation

0 Kudos
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

Where can I download the .RPK for that example?  I see the CityEngine stuff, but I don't have CityEngine and no clue how to create .RPK files myself.  Is CityEngine expensive and hard to learn?

0 Kudos
SimonSchütte_ct
Occasional Contributor III

The RPK (Rule package—ArcGIS CityEngine Resources | Documentation) and sample CGAs are included with the CityEngine Installation. CGA reference—ArcGIS CityEngine Resources | Documentation

For ArcGIS Pro support read Procedural symbology—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 
and watch: Creating Rule Packages (RPKS) for ArcGIS Pro and CityEngine with CGA - YouTube
Some Rules and options may not be supported directly in ArcGIS Pro and require CityEngine.
(At the moment, RPKs can only be applied to Points, Polygons and Meshes but you can get creative with that)

There is a 21 day CityEngine Trial: https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-cityengine/trial
The pricing should be similar to ArcGIS Pro, best get in contact with your Esri representative.

The ideal workflow is to optimize your GIS Data for accuracy and completeness in ArcGIS Pro and then prepare complex scenes in CityEngine, which has far more options. A CityEngine model can be exported as SLPK and published as SceneLayer.

ArcGIS Pro Picture and 3D Symbol combination
With ArcGIS Pro Default tools, you can create a fence by modifying the Wood Fence picture line marker:

SimonSchtte_ct_1-1673452024398.png

SimonSchtte_ct_0-1673452003123.png

Under Picture you can provide a PNG file of a fence with transparency.
Don´t forget to adjust the Layer settings:

SimonSchtte_ct_2-1673454274772.png

Enable Display 3D symbols in real-world units
If necessary enable Draw symbols with full alpha blending

Now convert your line that is used for the fence to points and create poles (or load your own 3d model):

SimonSchtte_ct_3-1673455313115.png

0 Kudos