I'm trying to overwrite a web feature layer, but the publish and analyze button is grayed out (see details below).

08-26-2016 08:36 AM
PhilipWhite1
New Contributor III

I'm trying to overwrite a web layer but the Analyze and Publish buttons are grayed out. The ArcGIS Pro Overwrite Web Layer help page states that you can't overwrite a web layer if you're not signed into the account that owns the layer (I'm signed in), if the new layer is not of the same type (both are web feature layers), and if I have moved the layer on the web while the overwrite pane is open in Pro (I have not). Does anyone know why I'm having this problem? Host settings/configurations are the same on both the new and old layer.

13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Overwrite a web layer—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop assuming you do own the data...

What was reported in step 7?  

0 Kudos
PhilipWhite1
New Contributor III

Hi Dan, 

Thanks for responding --yes, I (or my institution) owns the data.

Basically, I can't do step 7 because Analyze & Publish are grayed out.

Phil

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't know enough about it, but perhaps I != my institution.  How far down the list did you get in the steps

PhilipWhite1
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan,

To clarify --It is safe to say I own the data. That is not an issue.

I can go all the way through step six. Basically, I make whatever changes I want to the layer in Pro, save it, then on the share tab click Web Layer > Overwrite Web Layer. Then, a warning pops up explaining that I am going to lose whatever changes may or may not have taken place to the web layer online (not an issue) and I click OK. Next, the Overwrite Web Layer pane pops up on the right. All of the metadata is already filled in with the previous version info. Configuration settings are unchanged. That's as far as I can go because the Analyze and Publish buttons are grayed out.

The web layer exists in my ArcOnline account in a subfolder under my main directory. This is where the layer was originally published --in the subfolder.

Thanks,

Phil

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well I didn't find anything in the 1.3 bug/changes list and there was nothing associated with the 1.3.1 announcement, so I would contact tech support since no one else has leapt in with anything else to suggest.  Post if you find a solution... hopefully it is something we haven't overlooked.

0 Kudos
DanGriffin
New Contributor III

It looks like ArcGIS Pro isn't able to write or overwrite to AGOL folders with spaces in the name.  Try publishing to a location and web layer without spaces and see if that works?  Seems like a bug to me.  

JodyMacEachern2
New Contributor II

I agree with @Dan Griffin - I couldn't overwrite a layer in a folder with a space in the name. I moved the layer to my Home folder, and could then overwrite it. Didn't troubleshoot any further to see if spaces in the folder name were truly the problem.

PhilipWhite1
New Contributor III

Hi Dan & Jody,

Thanks to both of you for responding. This was off my radar for a while. 

When I was dealing with this initially a couple of months ago, I ended up moving to my Home folder as Jody suggested and that worked. That, however, is not a great solution because it leads to a disorganized home folder.

I'm about to pick the project back up, so I'll try Dan's suggestion and report back in a few weeks.

Cheers!

Phil White

RyanNosek
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you Dan Griffin for posting this!  It's April 2017 and this bug persists, using the latest release of arcgispro https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/arcgis-pro?sr=search&searchId=5f6a1888-faeb-48... 1.4.1.  I'm submitting a bug report today, hopefully there are duplicates already on the record.