I'm looking for a layer that will allow me to export an elevation value to a list of global locations. Can anyone tell me what layer to add or data source to use?

10-03-2019 10:46 AM
JamesPreslar
New Contributor

I have added a layer named Terrain, which indicates it can be used for analysis but when I export it, there is no elevation value applied.  What should I do to get the feet or meters above or below sea level to be applied to the points on my map, in an export file?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

There is very little in the description to help with a possible solution/answer. 

Can you provide some screenshots and more information on the layer called "Terrain"?

What format are you exporting the terrain file to? Are you using a GP tool, right click options, Python,etc.?

What do you mean by global locations?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
JamesPreslar
New Contributor

Hi George,

I'm just using Arc-GIS Online.  Terrain is a layer offered by Esri.  Here is a shot of the locations with the Terrain layer

I selected it because in the description it says: Use for Analysis: Yes. This layer provides data as floating point elevation values suitable for use in analysis.  The elevation values are what I am seeking.  I could not figure out how to get them to appear in an exported csv file.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I am not sure that there is a "direct" export to CSV. You could try Terrain To Points—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  in ArcGIS Pro, it does require 3D Analyst in Pro. Then export the points to a CSV

Note: There may be a cost in ArcGIS Online credits for the process.

You could also look at the following workflows: ArcGIS Imagery Workflows | ArcGIS 

Imagery and Remote Sensing

--- George T.
0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

James

sorry for the delay in my response.

Terrain is an image service, and IDENTIFY will do this  

Identify (Image Service)—ArcGIS REST API: Services Directory | ArcGIS for Developers  

I think you can ignore many of the parameters

Let us know if you need more assistance

Cody B

0 Kudos
JamesPreslar
New Contributor

Hi Cody,

I’ll need to study this. It looks beyond my technical capabilities. I really thought there must be a simple way to export a csv with sea level values just like I do with lat & lon. This does not look simple. I don’t have time to look at it right now. I’ll make a project of it and try to figure it out in November.

Thanks

Jim Preslar

Global Purchasing and Supply Chain Risk Management

james.preslar@gm.com<mailto:james.preslar@gm.com>

Phone/Text/WhatsApp: +1-318-347-7372

Work Phone: +1-586-805-6669

0 Kudos