I'm getting this message with I try to add a shape file to a map, "Failed to add data, unsupported data type."

05-20-2018 06:40 PM
DarrinNielsen
New Contributor

The shape file was created in QGIS. It is is clean file with no reported errors according to diagnostic tools in QGIS. But, when I attempt to load to a map in ArcGIS pro, the above error message appears. At a loss as to what else to try.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DarrinNielsen
New Contributor

Creating a shp.xml file did not solve the problem.

I created new versions of the two shapefiles (and ancillary files) in QGIS to see if there was a corruption issue but that did not solve anything.

Within ArcGIS I checked the properties of the "good" and "bad" files.

The "good file" was listed as follows:

- Shapefile Feature Class

- A file path was listed

= Geometry type = Polygon

The "bad file" was listed as follows:

- Cannot connect to database

Both files are contained in the same folder.

I'm not sure if creating a geodatabase has any relevance to this problem as my level of understanding of ArcGIS is limited but I did manage to create such a database file in ArcGIS for the "good" file but have been unable to replicate for the "bad" file as an error is produced when doing so:

Running script FeatureClassToGeodatabase...

Failed to convert: C:\Users\Darrin\....\Temp2.shp. ERROR 999999: Error executing function.Failed to execute (CopyFeatures).

As gar as I can tell 999999 is a generic error code so unable to decipher.

Thanks

Darrin

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have access to ArcMap?  Maybe you can try adding the shapefile from QGIS with the multipart polygons and processing them in ArcMap and then try adding that processed shapefile to Pro.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Darrin,

There is a similar function in ArcGIS:

Multipart To Singlepart—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
DarrinNielsen
New Contributor

This looks like the solution. Thank you Adrian.

0 Kudos