I'm getting this message with I try to add a shape file to a map, "Failed to add data, unsupported data type."

3966
13
05-20-2018 06:40 PM
New Contributor

The shape file was created in QGIS. It is is clean file with no reported errors according to diagnostic tools in QGIS. But, when I attempt to load to a map in ArcGIS pro, the above error message appears. At a loss as to what else to try.

Reply
0 Kudos
13 Replies
MVP Notable Contributor

Darrin,

Make sure that the folder containing the shapefile contains all of the related files (like .shp, .shx, .dbf, .prj, .sbn, .cpg, etc.).

New Contributor

Thank you Adrian. Yes, I have included those files. The odd thing is that I was able to add one particular shapefile to the map (an earlier version of the file I am most interested in adding) which was also generated from QGIS so this is very perplexing to me and difficult to troubleshoot.

Reply
0 Kudos
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When you say 'load a map' do you mean 'add the shapefile to a map' ?

Reply
0 Kudos
New Contributor

Yes. Thank you.

Reply
0 Kudos
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can try a Check Geometry from with ArcGIS PRO or the standalone application shapechecker

https://community.esri.com/thread/177037

if there is no substantive error, go back to qgis and export another copy... it could just be a bad copy

Reply
0 Kudos
New Contributor

Thank you Dan. I'll give it a try.

Reply
0 Kudos
New Contributor

I have found a difference between the old version of the shapefile that does add to the map and the version that I need to add to the map.

Both versions have the following file types: cpg, dbf, prj, qpj, shp, shx.

The file that is successfully adding to the map also has an shp.xml file, while the other file does not. I suspect that is the reason and perhaps I may just need to figure out how I generate that file type. I can't recall but I may have done it within ArcGIS by first exporting my shapefile to a geodatabase. I could be wrong but I vaguely remember doing something like with the older file in a random attempt to get this to work. We'll see how it goes.

Reply
0 Kudos
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Rename the *.xml to *.xmlold. and try switching up the order that you are adding the files.

I also assume that both shapefiles have a different name...if they don't that can cause an issue as well

Reply
0 Kudos
New Contributor

I have figured out the problem now but don't know how to solve.

I started with a clean file in QGIS that was clean and accepted by ArcGIS. This file had some multipart polygons, which I wanted to split into single polygons, so I ran that function in QGIS. This is the souce of the problem. ArcGIS would not recognize the file once I split the multiparts to single polygons. I'm not sure if there are some setting I would need to adjust to get ArcGIS to accept the new file or perhaps there is a function in ArcGIS to do the same. 

Thanks

Darrin

Reply
0 Kudos