I have a question about "Contour Placement" of labels in Pro

Jump to solution
10-30-2017 08:35 AM
SeanSummers_CC
New Contributor III

I have a contour feature in my ArcGIS Pro project.  When I turn on the labels for the elevation (double), they seem to label fine for all of the different label placement options except for "Contour Placement".  I can scroll through all the placement options such as "Basic Line", "European Streets", "North American Streets", etc.. and watch the labels change position, but as soon as I choose the "Contour Placement" they just don't appear.  I have the "View Unplaced" option checked and nothing shows up.  I have tried different options within the placement control pane such as Uphill Alignment, Page Alignment, Ladders and nothing seems to work.  I guess my question is does anybody else have this problem? Is this a bug?  Am I doing something silly?  Thanks for any feedback.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SeanSummers_CC
New Contributor III

It appears that everything is working correctly now.  I'm guessing because of 2.1.1?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
SeanSummers_CC
New Contributor III

It appears that everything is working correctly now.  I'm guessing because of 2.1.1?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Were you at version 2.1 or earlier when you first encountered this issue?

0 Kudos
SeanSummers_CC
New Contributor III

Yes, 2.0 if I remember correctly.

0 Kudos
MonicaLloyd
New Contributor II

We are also experiencing the same issue. Contour labels disappear when Maplex contour placement setting is applied. Running latest version or ArcGIS Pro 2.1.2. Several of my students are experiencing the same problem. Labels work fine if we use regular placement properties.

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Monica,

I'm not seeing any issues with contour labeling here.  Could you please send a package with just your contours and how you're trying to label them?

thanks

Wendy

0 Kudos
MonicaLloyd
New Contributor II

What is the best way to get you the data? It is taking a long time to create a project package.

Contour placement works ok when I do not have a .style file applied. Could there be a link to the symbology causing the problem?

Monica

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

what is the style applied to?  the label symbology? the label placement? or the feature symbology?

thanks

Wendy

0 Kudos
NicholasBarger
Occasional Contributor III

I just ran into the same issue today.  Several weeks ago I created a tiled service from our contours that successfully used the contour label placement in MapPlex Labeling.  Today, in a separate project I tried to turn on Contour labeling and the labels disappear.  I'm currently using ArcGIS Pro 2.2.4 and I believe I was using the same version when I create my tiled service.

0 Kudos
NicholasBarger
Occasional Contributor III

Ok... so here is an update for those still having problems with this.  This has something to do with data.  I had 2 layers, municipal boundaries and contours.  They both used "special" label styles, boundary placement and contour placement.  When the boundaries were on the contours turned off.. when I turned the boundaries off the contours would appear.  Initially I thought this was a bug...it still might be.  However, the fix was to replace the boundaries layer since it was the only thing causing the contours to turn off.  I symbolized it the same way and labeled it the same way and it corrected the contour labeling issue.

0 Kudos