I am planing to buy workstation for ArcGIS Pro and I need some tech support

05-14-2018 03:29 AM
JakubKmiecik
New Contributor

I am planing to buy workstation for ArcGIS Pro, can you give me advice if this workstation will work well with ArcGIS PRO, I am planing to work on not large LAS data sets and 3D scenes (drone data) and rest of work will be spatial analysis, 3D analysis and map making. I am most concern if this graphic card will be enough, here is specification for workstation I am planing to buy:

Dell Precision 15 7520

Core i7 3.9 GHz Quad core

32 GB RAM

NVIDIA Quatro M2200

512 GB SSD + 1000 GB HDD

Windows 10

Thanks
JK

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
JakubKmiecik
New Contributor

Yes, I have review requirements and still I am concern about graphic card, this would be great if someone who have similar workstation would share his opinion. 

Thanks Dan for fast replay. 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

The system is overkill for your needs to run ArcGIS Pro other than the middling video card, which is still more than you will most likely need.

Keep in mind Pro was designed to build GIS for web applications.  if you need a machine exceptionally robust to operate your GIS on your compute it probably won't work very well on the web.

For you HDD make sure it is a 7200 rpm HDD.

My system has a slower CPU, half the ram and a lower end GPU and it runs the software just fine.

JakubKmiecik
New Contributor

Robert, thank you for great answer.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

There are some myths about SSD's. 

My current build is 256GB SSD.  My previous  computer was HDD at 7200 RPM

I really have not noticed a significant different in performance between the two.  your more noticeable difference will be in starting up.  My computer goes from shut down to ready to work in 20 seconds.  And most of that is network authentication. My home computer gets up and ready in 10 seconds or less.  Having your OS and core software loaded on the SSD is where your great advantage will come in.

You could save some money by going with a smaller SSD but the prices of SSD's is dropping so much.

I saw one the other day that had a TB of SSD and no spinning HD.  $$$$$

Personally I will never buy a new computer that does not have SSD

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

If you're doing Lidar, and perhaps using LAS Tool, I've go with the Class 50 Dell (it's not called SSD?) drives. 

JakubKmiecik
New Contributor

Thanks Thomas for your replay. 

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

The graphics card does meet the recommended (and not just the minimum) specifications for ArcGIS Pro 2.1. 

OlegLukyanov
New Contributor III

Hi!

Any recommendations for budget workstation for ArcGIS Pro Standard for 2021.

Thanks

Oleg Lukyanov

0 Kudos