I am having issues calculating X Y coordinates for polygons

09-07-2020 06:23 PM
LonOttosen
New Contributor II

I have selected a number of polygons by using select by location, 100m from a roads feature layer. After making a layer from the selection, I merged two such layers and need to populate Lat and Long fields in order to locate them with a GPS in the field.

I did it in tables and CALCULATE GEOMETRY as well as the ADD GEOMETRY tool from the tooblox.

Either way I get a long decimal coordinate that will not work at all.

I have done the same process with points and had fine luck. Only in obtaining the Centroid of a polygon is throwing me.

thanks for any thoughts.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From

Calculate Geometry Attributes (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

I suspect that you have a projected set of data and you wish to return unprojected data (aka, in decimal degrees).

There are two optional parameters that you need to specify in order to get the data to appear in the format you want.

Perhaps, you will need to select a GCS WGS84 (a geographic coordinate system) with DD (decimal degree) coordinates.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
LonOttosen
New Contributor II

Correct, my original data are in NAD_1983_Albers. When I try to set up the tool it doesnt allow me to 

change many parameters. You are also correct, I wish the Lat Long to be in DD to input into a GPS easily.

What I end up for Lat Long in choosing centroid  is

4655750.859515 (roughly 41.6531...)                           567149.050651 (roughly -117.0701...)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

from the help

CalculateGeometryAttributes(in_features, geometry_property, {length_unit}, {area_unit}, {coordinate_system}, {coordinate_format})

what did you specify for the coordinate system and coordinate format in the dialog?

If you didn't specify anything but left the defaults, then you will get back the information in the coordinate system of the data (as you have confirmed)

... sort of retired...
LonOttosen
New Contributor II

Thank you. It was of course a projection issue.

I am now having trouble opening a raster. ArcGiS Pro gives me the error

that it is an unsupported format. It appears to be the old coverage style

with adf files?

I would not think the data sent to me woukd be that old. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Esri grids are still supported in ArcGIS Pro.

Like the old coverage format, grids are folders with .adf files and requires a parallel INFO folder with more .adf files. It is possible someone gave you corrupted grids by copying the grid folders without the (required) info folder. 

Raster file formats—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Esri Grid format—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos