How to trim layer to a specific area in ArcGIS Pro?

04-28-2020 02:42 PM
NATHANNICOLODEMOS
New Contributor

Hi, I have a layer displaying tree canopy cover for the United States. I want to trim it to just the state of Utah, how would I go about this?

Do I just make a polygon for the state boundary and then clip the layer to it, or is there another way? 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yes.  In fact you should be able to find the boundary of the state readily available online or in existing Esri datasets.

NATHANNICOLODEMOS
New Contributor

Thanks! Can I do this with a living atlas layer? When I go to clip, only my polygon shows up as an option for the input features.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Use the state resources

Utah Mapping Portal 

GIS map data looks promising

0 Kudos
NATHANNICOLODEMOS
New Contributor

That site doesn't have tree canopy data unfortunately. I'd just like to clip the one I already found with the Living Atlas, is this possible?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I was referring to the boundary of Utah to use for clipping your other data

0 Kudos
NATHANNICOLODEMOS
New Contributor

Gotcha, that's alright, I have a boundary polygon now for the state.

But when I try to use the clip tool, the Living Atlas layer doesn't show up as a feature for clipping.

I have it added to my map, do I need to somehow add it to my geodatabase so it will show up?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Let me guess... is it a raster?

Clip Raster—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

Hopefully it has a coordinate system

0 Kudos
Pål_Herman_Sund
Occasional Contributor II

Just adding to the soup, you can also use the "Clip Layers" option in Map Properties.

Comes in handy sometimes. The clip feature here is one object from a dataset with all counties, so a definition query is used as well on this layer.

Result:

No clipping:

0 Kudos