How to show extruded points as solid shapes and not "hoops" or "pipes" with no end.

08-24-2018 10:07 AM
KevinFreibott
New Contributor II

I'm using the Extrusion feature under "feature layer"- "appearance" to extrude points to a specific height based on a value within their attributes.  Specifically, I have a range of points representing parking lots and I want to extrude each to a height based on the number of parking spaces.  However, when I do this the resulting shape has no "cap" on it.  They're essentially 3D pipes with no roof.  Is there a setting I'm missing that will cap these "pipes" so they have a surface at the top end?

10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Extrude features to 3D symbology—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

apparently not....

Extrude points

Point and multipoint features become hollow vertical columns when extruded, regardless of the point symbol applied. Extrusion is a good way to highlight locations in 3D. You can extrude points based on an attribute to create columns of different lengths to visually represent variability in the data.

0 Kudos
KevinFreibott
New Contributor II

Are you saying that there's no way to cap the extrusion?

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Try this...

1. Save a copy of your current layer (in case you want to revert the changes you make).
  2. Change the symbology to a 3D Standing Cylinder (this will have a cap).
  3. Turn off the extrusion.
  4. Set symbology to "Vary symbology by attribute" - Scale-based symbol sizing—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 
  5. Under Size, uncheck "Maintain aspect ratio"
  6. For the Height property, set this to your number of parking spaces field.
  7. Adjust the "Enable size range" parameter until you have it sized like you want.
KevinFreibott
New Contributor II

Please tell me how to do step 2.  I can't find a setting for that.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

not out of the box...

but the workaround... click on your current symbol, then get into 3d

StephenRead
New Contributor III

Thanks - that's useful.

It would be great to be able to combine graduated colours as well as varying symbology by attribute so that the result would be data colour coded as well as variably sized/extruded.

James_Wadsworth
New Contributor III

Hi Scott,

Is there any similar workflow to resolve this issue in a Local or Global Scene? The workaround you have suggested is only viable in 2D maps, as scale-based symbol sizing is disabled in any scene view.

Thanks!

Edit:

I found an ESRI Help article that resolves this issue in any scene view: Problem: Point features become hollow vertical columns when extruded in ArcGIS Pro 

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi James,

Yes, that Support article seems to match the steps I posted originally . Glad you got it working.

-Scott

0 Kudos
Snyders_Scott
New Contributor

I need a different answer to this question.  I want subsurface water valves represented as a solid point not a line or column but cannot figure out how to do so.  I can get them to go below the surface, I just can't figure out how to symbolize as a point.  I'm obviously missing something. 
Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos