How to put a border on a layout (not just the map frame border)

Jump to solution
03-03-2021 07:14 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In Pro how would I get a layout to have a border? Not just the map frame but the whole layout (I want to be able to only insert the map frame in part of the layout).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Occasional Contributor III

If you want the border to match your map frame, then best to use the map frame border symbology to get what you want (you can offset lines like in my below demo).

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1614833880464.png

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_3-1614833989433.png

If you want it separate to your map frame, then a rectangle graphic is the simplest I can imagine. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_2-1614833905147.png

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA

View solution in original post

7 Replies
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

To insert a simple border graphic around the whole layout (page), use the Insert > Graphics and Text option, selecting Rectangle. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1614829357877.png

Once you've drawn it, you can change the properties to make it hollow (No Fill) and the outline to suit your border requirements. 

Once you've drawn your rectangle, I'd suggest making sure it's at the bottom of the Drawing Order list in the Table of Contents (under all your other elements and map frames) so you're not constantly selecting it when clicking on the layout. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

You can just press the padlock in the contents to avoid accidentally moving it after it’s placed.

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

There's that option too. I usually like these sorts of elements at the bottom anyway - out of the way when looking for the things that are likely to need editing. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This would work, might be what I end up doing. I feel like I had this problem previously and worked it out in a more simple way but I could be remembering wrong.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

I’m a little unclear what you are trying to do?  In a layout, the map frame or frames can be any size you want and just pick the paper size to fit your desired product.  If you want a border that is crazy artistic, your best bet is to just print the map or clip when printing or exporting a layout so you get something you can just paste into Adobe Photoshop or other artistic software. That is, reverse your thinking and do the “border” in photoshop and drop your map into that rather than doing the border in ArcGIS Pro.

Cheers,
Justin

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

So the way you describe would work. Basically I want a border around the layout that is separate from the inserted map frame if that makes sense. So like, if the layout is 8x11 there will be a border exactly following that edge. Thanks for the suggestions!

0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

If you want the border to match your map frame, then best to use the map frame border symbology to get what you want (you can offset lines like in my below demo).

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1614833880464.png

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_3-1614833989433.png

If you want it separate to your map frame, then a rectangle graphic is the simplest I can imagine. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_2-1614833905147.png

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer