Select to view content in your preferred language

How to measure curb distances (curb miles) or street distances in an area?

Jump to solution
02-16-2024 07:01 PM
MarkDoehnert
New Contributor II

How does one calculate curb miles of streets within specific areas?

I have a layer that is a map with the areas.

And I have a layer that has streets based on the Linear Referencing System (LRS) data contained within this feature class providing  dissolved route segmentation (i.e. routes are not segmented when they intersect other routes), thus rendering one table record per route.

Measures: The linear reference is based on Official State Mileage (OSM) as derived from reference points at Roadway Inventory Management System (RIMS) roadway intersections (i.e. nodes/junctions).

And I see a field Shape__Length I assume are the road lengths.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@MarkDoehnert Since you have the streets based  Linear Referencing System (LRS), this geo-reporting can be done simply by Locate Features Along Routes

Locating polygon features along routes computes the route and measure information at the geometric intersection of polygon data and route data. Once polygon data has been located along routes, the resulting event table can be used, for example, to calculate the length of route that traveled through each polygon.

AyanPalit_0-1708186813435.gif

Tool parameters in this user scenario:

Input feature: layer with areas

Route features: LRS streets

Output Event: as line with From-Measure Field and To-Measure Field. The difference will give you the curb miles of streets within specific areas.

Depending on the segmentation of your streets, you may have to perform a dissolve/merge and play with the tool parameters. Hope this Helps!

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@MarkDoehnert If this is satisfactory response, mark the solution for others in the community.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@MarkDoehnert Since you have the streets based  Linear Referencing System (LRS), this geo-reporting can be done simply by Locate Features Along Routes

Locating polygon features along routes computes the route and measure information at the geometric intersection of polygon data and route data. Once polygon data has been located along routes, the resulting event table can be used, for example, to calculate the length of route that traveled through each polygon.

AyanPalit_0-1708186813435.gif

Tool parameters in this user scenario:

Input feature: layer with areas

Route features: LRS streets

Output Event: as line with From-Measure Field and To-Measure Field. The difference will give you the curb miles of streets within specific areas.

Depending on the segmentation of your streets, you may have to perform a dissolve/merge and play with the tool parameters. Hope this Helps!

AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@MarkDoehnert If this is satisfactory response, mark the solution for others in the community.

0 Kudos
MarkDoehnert
New Contributor II

Because of initial problematic results using Locate Features Along Routes that I attribute to difficulties with the map data on the government map with areas of interest (polygons), where the polygons were a distance from the street lines, I am currently doing an approach using Arc GIS Pro’s Aggregate Polygons with an aggregation distance of 150 feet because the county map does not include or touch streets areas to use other polygon tools and some cul-de-sac streets that are large in diameter.

I then used Arc GIS Pro to calculate the total length of lines within a polygon - uses the Intersect tool to intersect the aggregate polygons and streets. Selected All attributes for Attributes To Join and Line for Output Type. 

Then I used Calculate Geometry to calculate the line (street) distances.  (https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-calculate-the-total-length-of-lines-within-a-po...)