Select to view content in your preferred language

How to Lock Basemap Labels at a Certain Zoom Level for Layout Exports?

Jump to solution
10-27-2023 09:16 AM
JonJones1
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm running into an issue in ArcGIS Pro that has me scratching my head. I'm currently using the World Terrain Basemap with labels, and I love how the labels of this basemap look in my map tab.

The Issue:

When I export my layout, I always choose a high-resolution .tif file (file size is not a concern for me), all the detailed labels from my basemap as shown in my map tap disappear. Instead, I get labels displayed at the increased zoom level of my layout tab.

What I've Tried:

I know the common advice is to right-click on the map to set a reference scale and then go to the basemap to enable "Scale Symbols When a Reference Scale Is Set." However, trust me, that's not an option for basemaps. If anyone can show me a video of doing this successfully, I'll gladly buy you a coffee.

My Question:

Are there any workarounds or settings I might have overlooked that would allow my basemap labels to remain fixed at a defined scale of my choosing when exporting the layout?

I'd really appreciate any guidance or help you could offer.

Thank you in advance!ARCGIS.png

My desire is to retain all labels as shown in my map tab, when I export from my layout tab. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JonJones1 

This is expected behavior. The basemap services are designed to display features/labels with set symbology at certain scales, whether the service is in a map view or displayed in a map frame on page layout. The current map scale (or the map view or of the map frame) will determine what layer/labels will be visible as your screenshots demonstrate.

I'm aware or no "override" functions or capabilities to change any scale dependent rendering of service layer features/labels. These instructions are set on the server. 

However, I do believe, if the service is a vector tile service, that you can customize the service. This may allow you to control the scale-based labeling in a customized view of the service layer.  

Hope this helps,

Tom

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JonJones1 

This is expected behavior. The basemap services are designed to display features/labels with set symbology at certain scales, whether the service is in a map view or displayed in a map frame on page layout. The current map scale (or the map view or of the map frame) will determine what layer/labels will be visible as your screenshots demonstrate.

I'm aware or no "override" functions or capabilities to change any scale dependent rendering of service layer features/labels. These instructions are set on the server. 

However, I do believe, if the service is a vector tile service, that you can customize the service. This may allow you to control the scale-based labeling in a customized view of the service layer.  

Hope this helps,

Tom

JonJones1
Occasional Contributor

Hello!

I want to express my sincere gratitude for your response. After reviewing the information you provided and taking into consideration the suggestions from fellow users on the Reddit GIS message boards, it has become clear that working with the Vector Style Editor is indeed the way to customize which labels are displayed at specific scales. 

However, I'd like to propose that ArcGIS Pro introduce an option for "Scale Symbols When a Reference Scale Is Set" for basemaps. This would be a game-changer not only for our use case but also for a multitude of others. It would enable me to effortlessly create large-scale maps, such as the 36"x48" ones that provide our end users with detailed information, including the precise locations of ponds under construction within a county. This enhancement would significantly elevate the quality of the maps we can display on our walls.

Thank you again! 

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

@JonJones1 

Glad the info is useful. Please feel free to add your suggestion to Ideas

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos