How to locate points using distance from and NSEW direction

01-12-2022 08:43 AM
BLeehan
New Contributor II

I have a point layer of traffic collisions which have the following fields that I need to more accurately locate on a road network.There is a set of XY coord which is a geoverified intersection of the "On" Street and the "Nearest Intersecting" street. However this is NOT the actual location which is identified by a distance in feet, North, South, East, or West of the intersecting street.

The data is from a state collision report which uses:

'OnStreet' | 'FeetDistanceFrom'|'Direction' | 'NearestIntersectingStreet' |             'X'        |            'Y'

2nd St       |                 30               |          E        | University Dr                        | -97.4750230 | 35.6527941

Any thoughts on getting these points on a route using the distance NSEW from the xy (intersection)? Any help will be greatly appreciated! I have searched for how to do this, but I'm afraid I'm not using the right terms. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Maybe you are looking for linear referencing and dynamic segmentation topics

Introduction to linear referencing—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

and the tools

An overview of the Linear Referencing toolbox—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
BLeehan
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply, those topics are kind what led me here. The linear ref would work if my points were along the road segments based on the distance from and direction, but unfortunately my data are all stacked on intersections. If I can figure out to "move" the xy in the direction and distance from the collision form, then I can use LR to analyze my crashes. I'll keep lookin. BL

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Linear referencing would only work if you had a linear network along with the correct routes and mile points. It sounds like here it's just XY with an offset of distance and direction. I think performing an offset would help with this but that is easier said than done. 

One old thread I found on this shows a calculated way of doing this from ArcMap 9.3!!!:

https://community.esri.com/t5/data-management-questions/offsetting-points/td-p/442421

But the idea still seems to work. In the "new X" and "new Y" fields, the calculations would use your distance field and you might need to make a new field called Azimuth that would be a numeric representation of your direction (where I would think N = 0, E = 90, S = 180, and W = 270, but I could be wrong).

BLeehan
New Contributor II

Thanks! I will give this one a look! BL

0 Kudos