How to join a field from multiple feature classes to one feature class?

10-02-2018 03:13 PM
HassanSaleh
New Contributor II

I have feature classes of points that have the same coordinate fields and point-id, but different values. 

What I need to do is joining the value field from each feature class to only one feature class. So that at the end, I have one attribute table with an id field and all fields from the other feature classes.
The merge tool is adding the records vertically in one field, but I need them in seperate fields. 

The Join tool adds my value field from one feature class each time, but It will take a very long time as I have hundreds of feature classes. 

Any help?

6 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hassan,

I use the Append tool quite a bit to merge/join multiple feature classes of points together. Have you tried that?

0 Kudos
HassanSaleh
New Contributor II

Hi Adrian, 

I just tried the Append tool and the appended fields are combined in only one field like the Merge tool, which I don't want.

I need the fields to be joined based on the Point-id field and to be separated.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hmmm, maybe create a model in ModelBuilder that will iterate a loop of many feature classes, doing what you need them to do?

0 Kudos
HassanSaleh
New Contributor II

I tried the Model Builder and found that I'll have to repeat the tool for each feature class and determine multiple factors for each one, and I have about 200 feature classes, which means a lot of time for a tedious work.

If I couldn't find an easy solution it would be better for me to extract the attribute table for each feature class to be able to manipulate the data and throw away the time.

0 Kudos
MuhammadArafa
New Contributor

Hassan

If you're using arcgis desktop with a personal geodatabase, then your database file is an access mdb file, and it makes you capable of using update query on the data in your essential point layer table in access, all you have to do is to create as many fields as you need in this layes's table in access then using your id field perform an update query in those empty fields you added before, and of course you need at first to add the excel data as tables in access, check and refer back.

0 Kudos
HassanSaleh
New Contributor II

Hi Muhammad, 

Yes, I'm using ArcGIS but the feature classes are in a file geodatabase, and copying them to a personal geodatabase will take some time due to the large amount of data. I'll try to play around and see what I can get.

0 Kudos