How to iterate through multiple dynamic attachments for a single feature in map series?

08-27-2020 10:06 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Data Background: I have a field collected (Collector) data set with attachments enabled. Based on conditions observed in the field anywhere between 1 and 10 photos are attached to a single observation point by crews.

Desired outcome: I'd like to build a map series based on these points from the field where the map series iterates through the ID for each point and outputs a map for each photo attachment. Ex. Some points would only generate one map because only one photo is attached to that point whereas other points would generate 5 or 6 maps, one for each photo attached to the point.

Current setup: I have the dynamic picture in my layout and it allows me to set the photo frame to the <Attachment> field. I can get one photo attachment to show for each point (I only want one photo frame per map)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Sasha, 

There is no way in the UI that you can use a single map series index feature to create multiple pages (one for each photo attached to the feature). You would either need to create additional features, one for each photo, or use python to code this functionality - Introduction to arcpy.mp—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Hope this helps, 

Tom

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tom, yes that helps.

I was hoping for something out of the box but I guess we'll have to configure something more custom... I feel like we can't possibly be the only users who collect multiple attachments for observation type data that need to be sent out as reports, has there ever been discussion on making a UI solution? 

Thanks,

Sasha

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Sasha, 

This is the first time I've heard of a request that a single index feature be used for multiple pages in a map series.  I have heard of a request to displays all the attached images onto the single page.

Feel free to add this to https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas

Thanks, 

Tom