Select to view content in your preferred language

How to get high-resolution satellite images?

Jump to solution
08-15-2022 07:22 AM
Sunny
by
New Contributor III

Hello all,

I am trying to do some large-scale deep-learning-based building footprint segmentation. The issue is getting the high-resolution satellite images for input data.

First, I tried "Sentinel-2 Views" from Living Atlas (https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=fd61b9e0c69c4e14bebd50a9a968348c). But as you can see in the below image, the resolution is quite poor. It states 10, 20, and 60 m multispectral, but my focus is more on the residential area, which often turns out to be 60m low resolution. 

2.png

I guess "Sentinel 2-view" is no good for non-major areas and is simply better to use the default "World Imagery" map:

1.png

So the question is...

(1) What are other sources for downloadable high-resolution satellite images? 

(2) When "Sentinel 2-view" states 10, 20, and 60 m resolution, is there a way to filter out 60m resolution images?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
WadeWall
Occasional Contributor

Did you go through all the steps identified here?

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/imagery/workflows/tutorials/using-image-services-in-arcgis-pro.htm

I just loaded the imagery and it may be that you have to do some post-processing to get higher resolution images. When I simply load, only the RGB bands are available.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Your second screenshot suggests that you're working in the US so you could leverage USDA NAIP imagery which is 1 meter resolution. Depending on how recent the imagery is for your state, that current imagery may also include a 4th band of near-infrared.

Apart from that, you could also download Landsat 9 data through the USGS EarthExplorer site and create panchromatic sharpened imagery at 15 meter resolution.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
WadeWall
Occasional Contributor

My understanding is that different bands have different spatial resolutions. If you are just needing RGB, then those bands should be at 10 m resolution. The 60 m res are for bands 1,9 and 10 (blue aerosol, water vapor, and SWIR-Cirrus).

0 Kudos
Sunny
by
New Contributor III

Then why are my view at such a low resolution? is there anything to tweek?

0 Kudos
WadeWall
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, I don't have any information to answer that. I just went and pulled in the sentinel 2 data and it "says" it is 10 meter resolution, but it sure doesn't look like it. It does says that it is still in beta, so not sure what you could do here.

0 Kudos
Sunny
by
New Contributor III

Indeed. Thanks though. I'm trying to see if there are any other downloadable images out there.

0 Kudos
WadeWall
Occasional Contributor

Did you go through all the steps identified here?

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/imagery/workflows/tutorials/using-image-services-in-arcgis-pro.htm

I just loaded the imagery and it may be that you have to do some post-processing to get higher resolution images. When I simply load, only the RGB bands are available.

0 Kudos
WadeWall
Occasional Contributor

When I exported a tif of the sentinel imagery, the resolution was 10 M. I think that when you are looking at it as a web service, the resolution is lower for speed.

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Your second screenshot suggests that you're working in the US so you could leverage USDA NAIP imagery which is 1 meter resolution. Depending on how recent the imagery is for your state, that current imagery may also include a 4th band of near-infrared.

Apart from that, you could also download Landsat 9 data through the USGS EarthExplorer site and create panchromatic sharpened imagery at 15 meter resolution.

MattCarocci
New Contributor

Hi Steve, 

The Sentinel option through ArcGIS Pro is great. I have tried numerous times through USGS Earth Explorer to procure a high resolution, normal color composite image for a specific area but I keep getting false color composites, etc. Any suggestions for better navigating the system for USGS explorer? 

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

John Nelson has a YouTube video which walks through the process of making a 15m panchromatic blend of Landsat imagery and this has worked for me. Maybe by watching the video you might be able to see where you might have gone wrong?

0 Kudos