How to get a "top up" view from a map in ArcGIS pro?

Jump to solution
07-20-2018 05:21 AM
PeterBijl
New Contributor

Hi,
I am new to ArcGIS and I wish to make detailed exports (A0, 300dpi) of a map with a layer on top that outlines an area. I know how to make a lay-out to do this, but I cannot find the option to get a "top up" view on my map. What I mean by this is that I really need to view it from above as a map like in Google Maps ("What I want it to look like"). The default seems to be like the attached "How it is" and I don't know how to change this. Can anyone help me with this?
I am using ArcGIS pro 2.2 for this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Hello Peter,

It appears that you're in a Map tab in ArcGIS Pro, so I don't think you have any tilt function active. The only other way I can think of a map appearing squished/tilted like that is due to a projection. In your Table of Contents (usually on the left by default), right-click Map and go to Properties, then go to the Coordinate System section (on the left). Please snag a screenshot of this window so we can take a peek at your projection information.

Thanks!

Rachel Guttmacher
ArcGIS Online Technology Lead
Esri Support Services

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Hello Peter,

It appears that you're in a Map tab in ArcGIS Pro, so I don't think you have any tilt function active. The only other way I can think of a map appearing squished/tilted like that is due to a projection. In your Table of Contents (usually on the left by default), right-click Map and go to Properties, then go to the Coordinate System section (on the left). Please snag a screenshot of this window so we can take a peek at your projection information.

Thanks!

Rachel Guttmacher
ArcGIS Online Technology Lead
Esri Support Services
0 Kudos
PeterBijl
New Contributor

Hi Rachel,

It was caused by the projection information on map level (right-click map, properties, coordinate systems). This was on GCS WGS 1984, but should have been on WGS 1984. After switching this I had a top view 🙂 
Thanks!

Peter