How to generate Elevation summary for huge data set in 1 go?

03-09-2018 08:17 AM
deleted-user-_D_hZi4SxV2S
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am trying to generate summarized elevation for water pipes using SummarizeElevaion tool. But this tool has a limitation of 1000 records at a time. I have a huge dataset that has more than a 100,000 records. When I feed my dataset to the tool, it fails. Is there any workaround to this problem?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I suppose the tool is limited to 1000 records because it charges 1 credit per 1000 records.

This prevents users from burning through numerous credits at one time.

Any way you can get the data into a database and do it from there?

New Contributor II

But the input to this tool should be a shape file right. I am not sure how to input the records from database to this particular tool. Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I thought this tool was an ArcGIS Online tool.

What kind of summary are you trying to execute or rather what results are you looking for?

What is your elevation data?  Contours etc...

How many records do you have?

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS Desktop tool.

I am trying to get Min Elevation, Max Elevation, Slope, Aspect etc. I typically get all these columns in a cs this tool generates.

I am trying to find elevation of water pipe lines in polyline shape.

I have 120k records.

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

I thought this tool was an ArcGIS Online tool.

It is, unfortunately, due to being accessed from within ArcGIS Pro, the OP may not be fully aware of this, although at least the usage of credits for this service is clearly marked with a blue warning box once you open the tool. The tool is part of the Ready To Use tools, that have their own "cloud" icon in Pro, with an ArcGIS Online reference in the tooltip:

An overview of the Ready To Use toolbox—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

What is the exact name of the GP tool in ArcGIS Desktop that you are trying to use?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
New Contributor II

SummarizeElevation.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Ok, I see the tool is an ArcGIS Pro tool (Summarize Elevation—Help | ArcGIS Desktop).

You may need to write a script that only selects 1000 records at a time and then combines them back together. Due to the 1000 record limit of the tool.

--- George T.
BKrzyzanowski
New Contributor

You can use the territory design tool + explode multi part feature to separate your data into pieces of 999. The use arc py. Although I am having trouble because the summarize by elevation tool doesn't automatically save the output to a gdb. It just gets added to the map.

arcpy.agolservices.SummarizeElevation(2, "zip5", "30m", "NO_SLOPE_ASPECT")

arcpy.agolservices.SummarizeElevation(3, "zip5", "30m", "NO_SLOPE_ASPECT")

arcpy.agolservices.SummarizeElevation(4, "zip5", "30m", "NO_SLOPE_ASPECT")

0 Kudos